PCLinux Running Debian 11

Well I’m not saying you have to install sudo. I do on my PCLinuxOS install because I run Private Internet Access VPN Which requires sudo in order to install it’s client. Other than that in PCLOS i would not install it either. Have been using PCLOS since it’s beginning and never have has problem with accessing files I need It’s a very fine Distro.

Actually, that’s not the case.

First of all, when you log into Windows, you are still logging into a normal user account, just as in Linux. It’s the same behaviour.

Additionally, you have to give explicit permission, if opening anything as the Administrator. Same, as in Linux.

The difference is, that in Windows there is only a GUI pop-up, which you usually don’t need to provide a password for, if you are being asked to confirm an administrative task.

However, technically permission-wise, it’s the same behaviour as in Linux. It’s just displayed differently to the user. It’s handled more user-friendly and less confusing and mistake prone.

The second part where your assumption does not reflect reality is that logging in as the root user any time would solve the problem. It would not. Even worse, it just makes things worse. If a user is reluctant to constantly provide his password for administrative tasks, I assure you he won’t be as patient and attentive to watch out for not breaking anything, while being logged in as the root user.
Most likely, they would break something when doing stuff as the root user. Permission issues could already break the experience, not to mention the wrong rm at the wrong time in the wrong directory.

Making sudo or gksu operations user-friendly would require them to be handled like in Windows, i.e. make them less secure. By default, you don’t have to provide a password for the operations. You just have to press the confirmation button. Secondly, it should open automatically, without having you to do it manually. Thirdly, it should be a GUI pop-up all the time. It should never require the console.

If these three things would be implemented in the default sudo behaviour on end-user desktop GUI Linux, then it would already be much more user-friendlier and slightly less secure, as a trade-off.

However, letting a very inexperienced user being logged in as the root user does not solve anything. It just makes matters worse. It’s also usually only the case in the terminal, which an inexperienced user doesn’t want to use anyway, so why would he even log in as the root user and use a terminal for that, in the first place.

@Akito
Technically your are right, then if Linux will not change, then it will never be a popular
alternative for most Windows users.