Philosophy of use

@nevj
Windows 11 Pro version will be installed.

@kovacslt
That is for certain!

Yes, and with Windows 11 specs, like Intel 10th or 11th gen CPU, Mobo or CPU with TPM support, OS must have secure boot enabled, at least 32GB of ram.
New build will have a His and Her account
All other PC’s, will overtime be retired.
I have nothing against Linux, but the “Linux is best” just isn’t my cup of tea for a new build. If the OS works, then it is best, if it doesn’t, then go to plan B. Cheers and thank all for the input!!!

1 Like

4dandl4

2m

@kovacslt
That is for certain!

I’m not familiar with software ‘for certain’ must be a Windoze thing . . .

All the best
artytux

1 Like

Just a side note to this. 3 weeks ago I installed Windows 10 on a notebook, for someone who asked me to do that.
Asus X515EA, that had i5 11th gen with 16GB RAM, Iris graphics, backlit keyboard, nvme SSD, all of neat stuff. But it came without any OS preinstalled.

I had to download a whole lot of drivers, but first had to fiddle with firmware settings to able to boot Windows 10, so that it knows there’s a SDD to install to…
Nothing worked out of the box. :smiley:
Guess what, I booted up Debian Bullseye live USB, and the keyboard lit up, as I expected, the display had the correct resolution and colordepth, AND (!!!) I could check the SSD is there, and is emtpy.

4 Likes

I forgot about Pro. You still,have to buy it.

That is one really interesting case.
It suggests that if you really want windows, buy something with windows preinstalled
but
you can add Linux (at least Debian) easily.

I will buy a product key for W10 Pro, install it and update to W11 Pro, more work, but a little cheaper. Wife is already running W10 Pro, but since this will be a new mobo, so I doubt the digital license is transferable. I might try and boot the drive she has, and see what happens, I doubt it will even boot.
If not, then the old PC will be updated and given to the church.

1 Like

Nice idea. Retirement homes are another good option

1 Like

Intrigued to know what the spec of that “OLD” PC is . Myself running 12/10 yrs old desktop/laptop machines still running fine with latest Linux Mint.

Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

2 Likes

@wicklowham
Motherboard= Intel DP43BF
OS= W10 Pro
CPU= Intel Pentium E6700 3.20GHz
Ram= 8.00GB Kingston DDR3 531MHz
Graphics= ATI Radeon R7 360 Series
Storage= 1 223GB SanDisk Boot Drive and 2 465GB Seagate Data Drives
Optical Drive= DVDRRW
Does not have an issue with running Linux, but my wife is in need of an updated PC, and Linux will just not work.

So do I. 12 year old HP. But I did some hardware upgrades.
Samsung SSD, 8 GB RAM, E5800 CPU. Total cost: about $150. 5 years ago, and still running great. Mint Xfce.

Yes, it shows Linux does it all …reducing electronics waste as well . Personally, I would never buy a new laptop.
When in 2025 Windoze 10 will no longer be updated,there will be a flood of (still very useful) older hardware becoming available for installing the latest Linux distros …perhaps by firstly replacing the HD with a SSD (which already by now have become very affordable )
But of course, the public at large will need to be educated in doing some DIY activities when using a PC and that will be the hard bit.
Because currently most computer users are just “icon clickers”.

Frank in County Wicklow Ireland

2 Likes

Most will either be trashed or stored away in an attic, like my old Gateway W98 PC. Time has a way of changing hardware and people.

1 Like

It all depends on what is required. Linux works for me100% of the time. It’s free and gives me something to play with. I personally love it. I’m retired and it does everything I need. My wife is forced into using Microsoft because of work. My sons are using Macs because of their jobs dealing mainly with audio and graphic editors and such that they work with at work.

2 Likes

I do agree with you to a certain extent. I started my home computer experience with Windows-95 back in the day and upgraded OS and computers through the years until I tried Mac back in 2008.
There was no turning back changing from the cumbersome, unreliable windows OS over to what seemed to me to be what computers should be like: everything just worked right out of the box. Stayed with Mac, upgraded computers at a steeper and steeper cost and saw the decline into corporate greed, the conflicts and finally the feeling of being trapped in a system I did not really feel i belonged.
About one year back I bought a “Newish” gamer PC and split the SSD into two partitions; one that now contains Ubuntu and one that contains Win10. Ubuntu which I use only for safe and serious matter and personal use. Win10, which I do not trust for anything serious and use only as a game console. I also have a Separate SSD drive where I keep all the big game folders. This has been working fine with me since.
-Worth mentioning is that I do not use my computer for any image or sound editing, so the two most important reasons for having a Mac is no longer present.
-Now to Ubuntu (which I understand many diehards doesn’t consider “proper” Linux, but anyway): Has been running stable after some initial problems which was resolved using the fantastic Linux/Ubuntu/It’s Foss forums. Just the forums and all the support should be reason enough to switch over to Linux.
The repositories has everything I need of software, looks great, the Gnome desktop easy to like and I must say the user experience is almost, almost, up there with Mac. I purchased a lifelong pcloud storage subscription and transferred all my important folders, files and images over from my Mac/iCloud and finally sent my aging iMac27 to recycling.
-My user experience (philosophy?) is that I now are completely rid of these “all intrusive” OS’s in my daily computer use. I switch on my computer and meet the same polite screen every day without any surprising changes, no added shortcuts, no new and unwanted apps and prompts for whatever new whatnots they have conjured up overnight. I do with my OS what I want to; responsibly because one stupid mistake done in terminal and your’e in for quite a session.
-When rebooting into the game console (Win10) there is something new to consider, and mostly disregard, every time it is started. It is full of chaotic menus, difficult to navigate and still having so many unchanged remnants from Win-XP - which was actually good. It must be said you can run games just.damned.fine in Win10 - something that can not be said about Linux in many cases, even if this is slowly improving.
-I would like to mention this little thing with the Apple Magic Mouse∕Trackpad which I kept when the Mac went to the pastures. They worked right away “out of the box” with Ubuntu, almost exactly as in Mac. Trying to make these work in Win10 is a totally different matter…
-Part of my switch of OS is most definitely ideological(Philosophical), I was raised a Scandinavian Social Democrat, believe in a sound capitalist system - not a broken one as we see today, I do really dislike corporate greed and it’s proponents when it is rearing it’s ugly head worldwide. Do not call me a communist because I am far too much of a realist to believe in a dream. Karl Marx suggested a new economical system, not a new form of political terror. I believe in fair trade, a cleaner environment and that people should be kinder to each other - whether it is a he, she or they/them. I believe it was that Jesus tried to tell us.
-So, back to smaller matters, 65 years old I am now committed to use Ubuntu. Maybe I will try a clean Debian install in the future, definitely with a Gnome desktop but it will have to wait until I have more experience with how it all works and running commands and so on. Most probably there is no turning back and I’m in it for the rest of my life.

2 Likes

Sounds a bit like my situation. I don’t game near as much as I used to. Mainly I played Half-Life (with OZ Mod) and then Portal. Running Steam and those games seems to work well for my needs. The latest is Pop!_OS, but I’m really more partial to Ubuntu 22.04 and have tried 22.10.

Have you tried any Steam games on your system?

Maybe you could drop Windows 10 altogether if it’s only used for games.

1 Like

I tried. What I like to play is ponderous games like CYAN Worlds, you know, Myst and sequels, Obduction and now Firmament coming first quarter-23. These games are dependent on running Windows∕Microsoft media files and that has stopped me so far. I have used Codeweavers CrossOver and could run parts of the game perfectly until I reached a point where i trigger some kind of animation and it does not start. Everything relies on these little snippets to be able to understand whats going on. A few windows games worked under weird graphics settings, but that may be caused by me having a Nvidia graphics card :thinking:
Then there is the FS2020, which is a little secret of mine (65 year old man playing pilot on a computer!?). I could buy an XBox, but the latest version is still as scarce as hen’s teeth hereabouts. So Win10 it is until a better solution comes along.

1 Like

Discard Ubuntu and upgrade to W11, would be the smart move. Put Linux on a separate drive.

Hey I resemble that remark :smiley: !

I’ve been using Linux since 1995 with Slackware 3 (and that was pretty hard work to get working well)…

I used Unix before that for a 2-3-4 years or something.

I choose Ubuntu for my main distro. My main interest / use for Linux is the CLI - and whatever gets me my bash / zsh shell and git with the minimum of fuss in the quickest time, is my distro go to… My job is all CLI stuff on UNIX and Linux servers.

I also use MacOS (OS X 12) - and Gnome 4x on Ubuntu 22.x is so easy to give the MacOS look and feel too - that’s another selling point.

Note also - I use my Ubuntu machine as a gaming console - have done so for 10+ years now - NO Windows anywhere. All my favourite games come from Steam, and many of them native - had no major problems with SteamPlay either (that’s Wine / Proton combo from Steam to run Windows only games, on Linux).

1 Like

There are some BSD diehards who do not consider Linux “proper” Unix, but use it anyway.

1 Like