Philosophy of use

Yep! Yep! My wife is a Luddite. It took a cattle prod and a bullwhip to teach her Windows and iOS (I plead the Fifth. It was like… other people who did that). Anyway, she has a Windows work computer and she sort of knows how to do some stuff with it… she knows if she wants one for personal use, I will buy it and subject her to terrors unimagined and best not described here. Not going to wrangle that beast again – well, not again, but…

I have no idea what hardware you’re using, so I won’t be presumptive here, but I am using a few-years-old (five-ish?) super cheap HP Deskjet 2635 printer/scanner and I have yet to run into a Linux distro that won’t run it. I am also running a 2014 Apple Macbook Pro and it runs great using Ubuntu. I touted the strength of the GNOME Ubuntu, but I saw there was a Budgie upgrade since my last unsatisfactory Ubuntu Budgie experience, and I utilized it. It took very little tweaking (10 minutes of searching for a solution to a wifi chip issue and a hardwired internet connection through my phone) and it’s running like a champ. I can’t speak to your hardware, though, but the Linux community moves pretty fast with new stuff while still supporting older hardware. I will never say there’s not an exception, but I have been amazed at how simple it has been to add printers, scanners and run both old and new computers alike. In most cases, it’s been plug-and-play.

I hesitate to say this, but I guess I can’t help myself, so apologies in advance to this community, but the use of phrases like “the only sane option” or “good luck with that” comes off as a bit insulting. We here are MOSTLY Linux users. Declaring us not sane for utilizing this platform because it doesn’t suit your needs feels a little hostile. I don’t know you or what works for you. Some mutual respect on that would be appreciated. I don’t say this to call you out, but to ask, respectfully, for a friendly discussion or debate even where we may disagree. I get that you don’t like Linux. I won’t insult you for it. I don’t like Windows or Mac OS and, when possible, I will decline the use of both. That’s how I feel. But I don’t question your sanity for disagreeing with me.

2 Likes

Sorry for that “sanity” quote, did not mean Linux users are “insane”, would have to put myself in that category. I know this is a Linux forum, and I also know a lot of Linux distros, want to be like Windows, but just quit make the cut.
For myself, it is not a question of which OS is better, but which OS is best for this household, for now and the future.
Sure I have Arch installed on this machine I am using, but not without having to reinstall my Nvidia driver everytime I get a kernel update. I also have XP on this machine, and it runs my Nvidia GT620 just fine.
We can agree to disagree about a friendly discussion, but the truth is, comparing Linux and Windows, is like the old Apple and Oranges comparison

4 Likes

Fair enough. Not trying to be confrontational here. I appreciate the clarification and I thank you for your input on this topic.

3 Likes

You are being too polite my friend. Yes I believe we are MOSTLY Linux users here and we love Linux for our good reasons. One of our member here was taken off air just about two months ago (a “moderator”) for trashing Linux and our contry, the USA. Thanks to our administrator. I’m sure he will be allowed back shortly, but learnt his lesson, and will continue only with his helpful topics.

And that is how it should be!

2 Likes

Actually, I took myself “off air”, because I saw no point in letting morons like you waste my time. As can be proven by other members of the community, if you would ask them, I was here, allowed to say whatever I wanted, the entire time.

3 Likes

@Akito
Well said!!!

2 Likes

0Ooh throw me into a room full of chook feathers and grab the keys we gotta tell em all
EEHA I’m not insane

Cannot help myself some-days the hard-drive between the ears needs adjustment(S) :crazy_face:

Cheers
artytux

We are actually all insane (or sane), to various degrees.

3 Likes

can confirm…

I’m no Zealot or anti-Microsoft fanatic, and Google doesn’t even bother me too much - seriously I’d rather get ads that are more tailored to what some shonky AI bot thinks I’m interested in, and Google’s AI make FB’s look like 8 bit kludges… I like and use some Microsoft software on Linux (and Mac) - Teams, Edge on Linux and MacOS, and Office 365 on Mac… I think they (Microsoft) do an admirable job trying to make Windows run on such a VAST array of hardware platforms (I still think Linux does it better :smiley: )

As many are also probably aware - far from being an anti-Apple zealot - I embrace Apple… I have three iPads (don’t use the iPad 3rd gen - but - it still powers up and is usable, UNLIKE the TWO PIECE of shit Samsung tablets I’ve made the mistake of buying in the past) - and I’m currently running 2 MacBook Pro M1’s.

My preference is to have something that I can run bash/zsh shell on with close to “native” abilities (i.e. the closer the shell is to the kernel, the better) - that I can do on MacOS…

Note : also - I wouldn’t bother running MacOS on Intel - don’t see the point - I’d rather Linux if I’m on x86_64 or i386/i686… I’ve actually tried doing a Hackintosh in the past, was VASTLY more work than warranted or useful, VASTLY easier to just run Linux or BSD (or Solaris x86 FFS!)…

I’m a bit of a RISC fanboy - so I love having a POSIX compliant UNIX-like O/S running on SUPER powerful (both my M1 Macs wipe the floor with my Ryzen 7 in CPU benchmarks) RISC CPU (ARM is RISC) - MacOS can actually be called “UNIX” rather than “UNIX-like”.

Haven’t run Windows at home for well over 10 years now - stopped dual booting for games about 10 years ago (thanks Valve!) - and my whole house stopped having Windows 2 years ago. My wife does all her “computing” on her iPad - my daughters have MacBooks and iPad minis - they ALL use iPhones.

That’s the one thing I won’t do with Apple, I hate iOS for telephony, and prefer Android (even so I still kinda hate Android too) - e.g. simple basic things like storing my music in folders and transferring it to the phone over USB with MTP (drag and drop - or in my case I use adb-sync) - iOS make you run shitty crap like iTunes to sync your desktop music collection with your iPhone - f–k that!

Note also - re:Microsoft - I actually quite liked their Windows CE platform as a phone handset - I’ve had TWO of them! Windows was a great phone platform (never tried Windows 8 mobile though)…

Me too.
When it comes to getting a job done, anything that works is fine, even Microsoft.
The crunch comes when i explore (ie play). Linux /BSD/… offer more opportunities to try things, more to learn, and more to make a mess with.

In case you are counting morons, please add me to your list too…
:smiley:

2 Likes

In Oz we call that FIGJAM . . .

Me TOO

:rofl:

Cheers
artytux

2 Likes

To get a bit ontopic, I do the opposite. I give you the real only valid reasons for NOT choosing Linux, but Windows instead.

1. The task you want to do requires a special software, which does not work on Linux, or does not have a viable alternative running well on Linux.
  2. The hardware you choosed alrady has some parts, that won’t work with Linux at the moment. Note, that if you build a new machine, you can select the components, so this is very easy to avoid, so #1 remains the only valid reason. :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Name software Please and/or goto

https://alternativeto.net/software/compare-it/

Does that help
regards
artytux

edit : I think I just asked the wrong person, BIg 0Ops
anyway the question still needs an answer please . . .

1 Like

:smiley:
It sometimes helps, sometimes doesn’t.
Living completely on Linux since 2019, I can tell, still there are jobs where Linux lacks proper software for completing a task.
I wrote “viable alternative” and not just “alternative” on purpose. As an example from my praxis I’d mention VMix. I myself don’t do “huge” live broadcasts, so having only 2 cameras, and/or possibly capturing a presentation, OBS is completely fine for me. Having advanced scene switcher, I can create quite complex suff using OBS.
But a sport event broadcast with 4 to 6 cameras (I used to be an auxiliary worker as cameraman on such events), maybe with slowmotion replays and teasers, is pretty much out of scope for OBS, whereas VMix can take up the job.
Probably there are other tasks too, not to mention Windows-only high demanding games.
:wink:

No problem, we are on the same side.

Gave that, one example is enough in this case :wink:

1 Like

Hey @kovacslt
Ididn’t want an answer from I know your not the OP :upside_down_face: , @4dandl4 when and if wants to answer I’m just wanting to know what software acquisition problem he is facing in Linux, just trying to help @4dandl4,
and as for you I know you are a OK, camera men they’re always thinkin it’s about them :smile:

Kind regards
artytux

2 Likes

Maybe if I’d be a proctologist, I wouldn’t think it’s about me… ???
:rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

0oH mate that’s a little bit below the belt, Chocolate Starfish anyone :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

artytux

1 Like

I cant let this pass without noting that Windows home versions can only address 16Gb of ram. There is scientific software which requires much more than that. Linux can address 2^64 bytes. Therefore most most scientific apps require linux.
Sure, you can buy the Windows server version and access more ram, but that is quite expensive.

1 Like