Phoronix: Additional Parts Of The Radeon Stack To Be Open Sourced Throughout The Year

Good news for people who currently own or will own a Radeon graphics card (which includes me). Radeon will be open sourcing more of their GPU code. This is of course not counting the AMDGPU/AMDKFD kernel drivers which are already open source.

5 Likes

WooHoo!

I just tried playing Quake II RTX (i.e. Quake II with Raytracing) on Steam and it NOW WORKS! i.e. my AMD GPU, with the OSS drivers, now supports raytracing :

╭─x@titan ~  
╰─➤  inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M] driver: amdgpu
    v: kernel
  Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa gpu: amdgpu resolution:
    1: 2560x1440 2: 2560x1440
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6600 (navi23 LLVM 15.0.7 DRM 3.54
  6.6.6-76060606-generic)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 23.2.1-1pop0~1699535617~22.04~6cd9a72

I’ve been trying every 3-4 months or so - worked for the first time today (when it didn’t work - it would attempt to launch, then sook about no raytracing support with my amdgpu)… Note : Quake II RTX is free to play on Steam (but only works on GPU with RayTracing support - the proprietary drivers for my 8 GB RX6600 had raytracing a couple years back - but I want to keep using the OSS driver).

4 Likes

Not so long ago nvidia started to (partially) open their drivers too, so all that seems, something happens…
Maybe we see the dawn of generally moving to Linux/Opensource?

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I need to double check if I am using the open source drivers, then. I am pretty sure I am using them.

I do recall that, but I think there was an It’s FOSS News article about how development on that driver had ceased, but then Red Hat decided to start development of a new driver “Nova”

2 Likes