Possibly cpu-whining with Linux distros

1 Like

@Akito, I was addressing permanent power supply. I can unplug my SSD and not loose any data and it can lay around for a couple months and still not loose any data. As to a unexpected ā€œpower outageā€ is a HDD guarantee not to loose data?

1 Like

It may, similar to the SSD.

I guess it was only an issue with early SSD where they had a built in back up battery?
Spinning disc loses data if itā€™s being written to and there is a power outage, plus, either can lose data due to a power spike if suddenly shut off

1 Like

Hi @Rosika with ubuntu-16 on Dell I get thisā€¦

But with Trisquel on ancient HP I get thisā€¦

131,074 bad sectorsā€¦ OMG Should I be worried ? :scream: Have everything double backed up. :wink:
I know @TrekJunky and @01101111 will advise to replace with SSD and gain performance advantage too, but quite like the idea of it gradually shutting down sector by sector like the original Terminalatorā€¦ :thinking:. :grinning: :joy:
As you know well the old girl still runs stable, fast and snappy too!
@1crazypj great point about harmonics - as with all things mechanical - remember that bridge in the US that started to sway encouraged by a little wind and then destroyed itself in harmonic mode. Then in recent times we had that new London footbridge over the Thames which under very narrowly defined harmonics of pedestrian footsteps it started to dance to the harmonics. You can bring down multi-storey buildings with harmonics!
As a design engineer my first step for rectification of an existing design where the moment of inertia or mass cannot be moved is to use a rubber snubber - even touching a component (tuning fork) with such will kill the noise or vibes by attenuation. Or if you want something a bit more sophisticated you can squeeze the rubber snubber with a screw and tune out the harmonic when you hit the sweet spot. Thanks once again for stimulating the grey matter - nice one

1 Like

Hi Andy,

sorry I couldnĀ“t reply earlier but I had quite a few important things on my plate. :neutral_face:

Well, IĀ“m not quite the expert on this one. Perhaps you should open a dedicated thread for this topic.

Having done a quick search ā€œgnome-disk says ā€œbad sectorsā€ā€ on duckduckgo
(gnome-disk says "bad sectors" at DuckDuckGo )
I found on badblocks - How to mark bad sectors in Disk Utility? - Ask Ubuntu a screenshot depicting gnome-disks.
Here it gives a much more severe warning. Your picture at least says ā€œDisk is OKā€. :thinking:

Sorry I canĀ“t be be of better help here.

Many greetings.
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes me to - and I know that you will excuse my late response as I was reacting to AstraZ Covid injection and then next day liquid Nitrogen Cryotherapy on my head and an ear - aar - my brain hurts :face_with_head_bandage: :laughing:
Could be a good idea to create a new Topic - thanks.
Had a lot of bad sectors in Vista days and new installations v8 and now v9 went without a glitch and it runs so well with just 3MiB RAM. I do regular backups so I guess I will carry on regardless as it will probably outlast me :ghost:

1 Like

@Andy2:
Hi Andy and thanks a lot for your feedback.

Well, it sounds good that those installations went well.
I think your plan to carry on is o.k. especially in view of the fact that you do regular backups.
ThatĀ“s really good housekeeping methinks. :+1:
I do regular backups as well: once a month a disk backup - making good use of clonezilla. :smiley:

On a personal note:
IĀ“m sorry to learn of your reaction to the AstraZ Covid injection.
I very much hope youĀ“ll get better soon. All the best from me. :kissing:

Many greetings.

1 Like

I found via Google to this post. I have the same issue on a Dell XPS 15 9570 booting a ubuntu-20.04.2.0-desktop-amd64 live cd. The laptop becomes a ā€œmusical orchestraā€ for about 10-20 seconds booting, especially at the ā€œdrive checkupā€ part. Then when the GUI starts, it stops and also wont happen again later on.

I have also a tiny bit of coil whine booting Windows 10, but just for about 2 seconds during boot time, and just in a very faint way.

The coil whine booting up Ubuntu is about 10 or even more times worse compared to Windows and also way longer.

I never have any coil whine under Windows 10 when using it.

How is possible or explained? What happens during the Linux kernel boot that creates those coil whines in such way?

1 Like

@M_H:

Hi,

seems interesting to observe (slight or even major) differences as far as WIN vs ubuntu is concerned.
I was tempted to say itĀ“s similar in my described case but IĀ“ve read so much about this topic and discussed it at length (at the time) IĀ“m not sure how much of it is my imagination :blush:.

Despite all IĀ“m no expert as far as this whining noise is concerned . So hopefully youĀ“ll get some enlightenment from the more knowledgeable members of this community. :smiley:

Many greetings and keep safe.