Post-grub message

First off, this message appears to be just a message, because their are no apparent issues. All my usb ports are usable.

2020-06-11 15:03:38 ⌚  garuda2 in ~
○ → inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: garuda2 Kernel: 5.3.18-050318-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 9.2.1
           Desktop: Gnome 3.28.4 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu4)
           Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI) v: Rev X.0x serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2804 date: 04/15/2020
Battery    hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
           model: Logitech K350 status: Discharging
CPU:       6 core Intel Core i5-9400F (-MCP-) 
           arch: Skylake rev.10 cache: 9216 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 34798
           clock speeds: max: 4100 MHz 1: 1879 MHz 2: 3674 MHz 3: 3567 MHz
           4: 3757 MHz 5: 3811 MHz 6: 3218 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.5 )
           drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 2560x1440@59.95hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 435.21 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Card-2 NVIDIA GP107GL High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k5.3.18-050318-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless-AC 9560 [Jefferson Peak]
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 00:14.3
           IF: wlo1 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k bus-ID: 00:1f.6
           IF: eno2 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 3000.6GB (8.9% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: SHGS31 size: 1000.2GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WDS100T2B0A size: 1000.2GB
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 915G used: 22G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.02GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
           fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 1.0:49C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 342 Uptime: 6:26 Memory: 2515.3/15932.4MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.5.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.201) inxi: 2.3.56 

Here is the message itself:

I’m just a techhead that wants to know what the message means since there are no visible issues!
Edit> original kernel was 5.3.0.53.47

General thumb rule regarding GRUB errors and warnings:
If you don’t have an actual issue, ignore the messages. Kernel messages almost always output some weird log messages, sometimes warnings and errors. However, most of the time they are not important.
Start caring, if you are actually affected by an issue.

1 Like

I will do just that…Thanks, Akito.

2 Likes

I mean… I’m a bit less eager than @Akito to just ignore that message. It means something. Specifically, the kernel appears to be detecting a USB-attached device that’s failing to configure.

That device doesn’t have to be a PORT, per se. Many systems use USB for internal connections as well, these days. Things like card readers (especially), wireless devices, IR receivers, etc, etc. can all have internal connections to the USB bus.

It’s possible there isn’t any device attached there, and the detection is just a “phantom” port that was left unconnected rather than disconnected. Maybe it’s not properly grounded or something. Or it could be that there’s a built-in device which isn’t supported under Linux, maybe never was, so it’s not ever going to be working. (I had one system that always detected a USB-attached IR receiver, I never did figure out if it was actually there and not working, or just a phantom device.)

Two things you could try, if you wanted to investigate further:

1. Run dmesg -T |grep -i usb shortly after booting the system, and see if any of the kernel messages give more of an idea of what device it thinks it’s detecting. The -T turns on clock-time timestamps.
    (You could use sudo journalctl -b --grep usb instead, to search the entire journal since the system booted up, but that’ll be a lot more cluttered and isn’t likely to provide that much additional info, you’ll just have to slog through more noise.)
  2. Run lsusb -t and see if you can get an idea of what “usb 1-6” would be connected to. (I believe that’s Bus 01.Port 6 in lsusb parlance, but honestly how the various numberings map has always been something of a mystery to me.)

Alternatively, you could poke around in the /sys/bus/usb/devices/ hierarchy for the same information. But if a USB device isn’t configured, AFAIK it will not show up there. You’re just looking for clues based on adjacent, actually-configured devices.

And then, if you haven’t found any useful info, I’m in full agreement: Ignore it and don’t waste any more time on it. But that “Couldn’t get size” message immediately before… that sounds to me like it could be a failure to install device firmware, which means there may well be a device installed in the system that you don’t know about, and which possibly could be made to work with the right drivers/firmware!

1 Like

I meant it more like don’t worry. If you want to use up personal time for finding out, why these messages appear, go ahead. However, my point is, that no one should feel obligated to fix something that is not really broken. If you are genuinely interested in investigating how the kernel actually works, knock yourself out.

3 Likes

And on that we’re in absolute agreement: It is at most a curiosity to investigate, not a problem that needs fixing.

4 Likes

I am a curious sort :wink: Thanks for the pointers, FeRDNYC. I appreciate your and Akito’s comments!

2 Likes