Printer driver ugently needed

Due to a “clean re-install” of Linux Mint19.3, I can no longer find the ppd driver to install my HP Laserjet P1005 printer. I’ve been all over hplip, and the net. Also, as I dual boot with Win10Pro, I may need the printer driver for that . This is also a driver for that printer that I’ve been unable to acquire-
foo2xqx printer driver. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

unfortunately cups doesn’t list any driver specific to the p1005 in the ubuntu 18.04 collection. there are some generic options at the bottom including everywhere.

$ lpinfo --make-and-model “hp laserjet” -m
gutenprint.5.2://hp-lj_p2010/expert HP LaserJet P2010 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13
gutenprint.5.2://hp-lj_p2015/expert HP LaserJet P2015 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13
gutenprint.5.2://hp-lj_p3004/expert HP LaserJet P3004 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13
gutenprint.5.2://hp-lj_p3005/expert HP LaserJet P3005 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13
drv:///sample.drv/laserjet.ppd HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5
lsb/usr/cupsfilters/pxlmono.ppd HP LaserJet Series PCL 6 CUPS
everywhere IPP Everywhere

when i checked the hp page for your printer, it redirected me to download hplip so my next question would be what does this mean?

this page on open printing did lead to some info about foo2xqx: http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/

1 Like

01101111-Thanks for the quick reply and that link-http://foo2xqx.rkkda.com/. I’ve used that one many times in the past, but it now is unworkable(I’ve been there several times, this past week.When you dl that hplip, you then click on the “hplip-3.20.6run”, and it goes through a lengthy install procedure, starting with recognizing the printer, and after a “lot” , it asks for location of the “ppd file”. As that is what I do not have, and need, the install fails. Have tried this several times-still no ppd, no install. Once again, thank you.

1 Like

can you explain what you mean? it doesn’t compile or install?

i don’t have an hp printer to attempt working with hplip, but have you tried the version ( 3.17.10+repack0-5) available in the ubuntu 18.04 repos?

I will try that, because the v I’ve used previously(3.20.6) does not work. Thank you.

1 Like

Just a thought and maybe not possible. Does Linux store drivers is a common library? If so, could tosim91 get the driver he needs off of a backup?
@01101111 this is way over my head, but found this on the internet.

1 Like

if there is a previous backup available, i see what looks like a copy of my own driver in /etc/cups/ppd.

Hey guys-I really appreciate your assists. I used to have a backup of each driver(and device manuals) I use, however, in the fiasco that (supposedly) was upgrade to Mint v20, some that partition was wiped out.

1 Like

@tosim91 not to preach, but you broke the golden rule of computers.
NO changes to your system without a backup. And more then one type preferred as in a Timeshift and a stand alone (like Clonezilla).

1 Like

I always have backups, however, as I said up above, that partition having backups of manuals and drivers, and my home backups, was wiped out. Fortunately, I also keep my home partition backed up in several external drives. Thanks to all for your advice.

1 Like

Backups should never be only on the same device, especially not the same storage medium. Ideally, there should be at least 3 off-site backups on 3 different devices at 3 different locations.

2 Likes

Akito-I completely agree with you. Usually, every Saturday AM I devote to backing up to nine(9) different
external devices. I just somehow missed the drivers folder. I’ll keep searching and with luck, I’ll find the driver. Once again, thanks to all.

2 Likes