Printers compatible with both Windows and Linux

Never did work out what Letter size was, is it a U.S. size? I have used A4 for the last 40 years as its a worldwide standard and every printer from my Epson LQ2000 dot matrix onward used it as well as continuous paper.

Letter is USā€¦ 8.5 x 11 in

I have occasionally found situations (probably on MS WindowS) after installing a driver it default to letter size outputā€¦

That happens in Linux too. My OKI always comes up as letter size by default. It may be set as default in CUPS?

Standard packages in stationery stores: 8.5 x 11, Letter; 8.5 x 14, Legal; 11 x 17, Folio. I was well into adulthood before I ever heard of A4. Not sold in common stationery stores here. Now, of course, I see paper sizes beyond my imagination as addressable in printer configurations. The evolution of paper sizes would be an interesting piece of research for someone much younger than I.

[Did a bit of research: Standard Paper Sizes - International & USA - Coastal Creative]

Manjaro did it again yesterday. Hp envy wouldnt work so
-Remove printer
-add printer

and all ok
WHY

but its fine now

CUPS is full of bugs. There is no alternative. You just have to fiddle the settings and make it work the best way you can
Noone seems to want to solve the basic problems of print spooling.
They keep adding fancy features, but they cant stop printers hanging intermittantly

1 Like

In the pre-computer era there was foolscap and quarto. In Australia they still make filing cabinets to fit foolscap or quarto folders, Things move slowly

After a little wiki browsing all the way back to Gutenberg, we seem to be reinventing the standardization wheel once again. Paper sizes have been all over the road for hundreds of years until the international standards were developed. Would that common sense would infect all of us universallyā€“money based on a decimal system, metric measurements, universal paper sizes. The only thing that should retain unique characteristics is the delightfully varied world of stouts and porters and alesā€“just pour out the pale commercial beers.

Well we have not come near to metric yet. What about metric time?
When I go to the hardware store to buy bolts - if they are galvanised they are metric, if they are Cadmium plated they are Imperial. Explain that

And does your Stout come in litre bottles?
Cheers
Neville

I think, Imperial measurement styles are de facto obsolete and only still exist, because too many US Americans are living behind a forest in a backward ass southern state.

1 Like

Yes but I buy bolts in Australia, and they are made here. Australia is supposed to be metric

The basic problem is, the metric concept is flawed. It only works for linear measurements, areas, volumes, etc. It does not work for circular measurementsā€¦ angles, time, etc. Measurement theory needs a rethink.

2 Likes

@nevj
Metric bolts in my neck-of-woods are scarce as hens teeth!!! Along with metric tape measures!!!

Well I think the Americans are right to hang off on metric. The concept is not universal enough.

I have a Landroverā€¦ its tookit needs Whitworth, AF, BA, and BSF spanners, but not metric. I have a John Deere tractorā€¦ it only needs AF spanners.
I have Honda ag bikeā€¦ it is entirely metric. Thats just spanner sizes, then you get into threadsā€¦ I guess you know all this from the mill work.

JOHN DEERE!!! I have two and one want-a-be, probably not as big as yours, but they are all metric!!!

Must be newer than mine. It is a 2010Rā€¦ yes a rowcropping tractor, built in 1965. Strange motor, hard to start, but runs perfectly. Has a loader. Not really a big tractor, only about 40 HP, but does what we need. I guess JD went metric at some stage.

What do you do with yours?

I switched from Japanese motorbikes nearly 20 years ago to Harley, and back then I used to do most of the basic servicing, so I had to go out and buy a whole bunch of AF toolsā€¦ Man!

Metric and AF allen keys? WTF?

At least Torque/Torx tools are universalā€¦

My father in law was an ex diesel mechanic, and had owned GM Holdens before Japanese cars, and 'cause he was retired he gave me a whole bunch of AF sockets, and full set of Sidchrome ring and open ended spanners (note : SPANNER, not ā€œWRENCHā€) and stuffā€¦

Note - socket / ratchett drives are STILL in imperial - i.e. 1/4" and 1/2" - even with metric socketsā€¦

Note - donā€™t do any mechanical stuff whatosever anymoreā€¦

My father had a BSA bike. Some of those vintage English bikes had threads of their own designā€¦ not to any standard at all.
Microscopes are another nightmare. They are metric, but tbey work in 1/2 mm steps in their thread sizes.

Bikes are fun to work on. I bought a ā€˜basket caseā€™ ag bike and rebuilt it over about 3 months . It is now our main farm bike.

1 Like