Printing issue with LibreOffice Writer on Linux

Every once in a while, LibreOffice Writer request to print a job on a network printer misbehaves.

It prints the second (even pages) upside down.
Have all the regular options set for two-sided duplex print, but it don’t do nothin’

Doesn’t do this on Windows.

At first, tried on LinuxMint Cinnamon but it did it again.
Went over to MX, same problem.

The options are so obvious to choose from, so i really can’t see where the problem is.

2 Likes

Reinstall drivers and try?

2 Likes

Good idea!

Noticed Linux installing that network printer by default.
So it may be missing something.

Will check and report back.

Thanks! :wink:

2 Likes

Took a bit of sweat and tears, but i think i got it!

Deleted the printer as per your recommendation.
Rebooted for good measure.
Then installed it again (unchecked firewall) but not that easy.
Had to retry more than a few times…

And now, after reboot, have the initial one back and two others :

Anyhow, it seems to be working as expected now.

Thanks for writing in. :+1:
Had thought about that previously, but didn’t do it.
Reckoned that if the driver was there, it should be okay.

3 Likes

From what you did to solve it, this looks to me like a CUPS problem rather than a LibreOffice problem.

2 Likes

Yes. Surely a CUPS problem.

1 Like

Even I had the similar problem with my LBP2900B Printer. Even after installing the drivers, linux was auto-setting it. Then I found a script for canon drivers on github, which does everything for me. I just have to remove the auto added printer from settings, and then run the script.

Here’s the link:

Supports most Canon printers ig…

1 Like

Yes problem with linux and cups driver, i have a similar issue with a brother printer on a client machine, it works for months then stops and only answer is to delete it and add it back.

My client only uses libreoffice so reported the fault as being libreoffice but when i checked the solution was with the linux system, perhaps an update… not sure.

1 Like

My brother printer does exactly the same.
I suspect that regular system updates detect that some libraries installed with the drivers do not belong to the package system and delete them.
I dont have a solution.
Maybe do the install in /usr/local to get it out of the package system’s clutches.

2 Likes

My othervthought was around wired and wifi printer.

Linux sees them both

So if you connect by cable it sees and installs, but the printer is also available to others by wifi so can be installed two times without user intervention

1 Like

Ouch. Dont know if CUPS could cope with 2 entries for one printer.
Mine are network (ie ethernet) printers. They detect OK, but drivers for the Brother are never in the distro.

3 Likes