Problem W10 and Ubuntu 18.4 Dual Boot Help needed

I am at a loss:
HELP.
I clicked on the zip file, got a bigger sreen with the zip file name and others, clicked on it and got this screen:

Now what do i do? Is that LD_P1 that is sort of high lighted supposed to be click on? I never seen a screen like that before.

Sorry to be so dense.
Pat

That is just a screenshot of the webpage!!! https://www.ventoy.net/en/download.html This is the link to the download page.
That is a screenshot of my W10 C Drive

Hi Pat,
When running Linux from a Live USB any file you save at “Home” will be lost once you unplug the flash drive or reboot the PC. It is at “Home” that a typical user would save their work. From what I read, you don’t only want to “Try” Linux, but you also wanted to work with it editing files.
Once you place Ubuntu 18.4 onto the flash drive, it will remain until there to be used over and over again until you remove Ubuntu from the flash drive.

The next phase I was talking about was “How do I save my work / files if I’m running Linux from a Live USB?” so you do not lose any information.

Good Luck,
Howard

PS: To get to your boot menu on your PC "Tap rapidly on the F12 key when the Dell logo appears during startup. This takes you to the Boot Once menu.” A friend of mine @01101111 looked this up.

1 Like

OK,

I got it!

Thanks.

2 Likes

A separate computer may be more affordable than you think. An older desktop or laptop
can be found on Craigslist for 50 to 75 dollars. They might be too slow to run win10 but competent to run linux. Also instead of Ubuntu there is an Ubuntu based distribution called
Zorin Light which runs quickly on older systems. I believe it includes Libre Office; but if it doesn’t you can always add that by using software manager. Finally if you download a Linux distribution from Distrowatch or another site don’t do it on a wireless connection. Plug into your router with an ethernet cable for a more reliable download.

2 Likes

Lou,

Thanks for that info!

Pat

1 Like

Hi easy,

I hope tomorrow that my daughter and I can use Ventoy to get Linux setup on a stick drive. This raises a question: When it is set up, will I have to go looking for a driver for my HP printer? Is there some place in particular to go get those things?

Thanks

Pat

Hi Pat,

I used Linux Mint and did not have a problem with my HP printer, so I did not have to go looking for a driver. I’m sure Ubuntu works with HP printer too, so if you have a problem someone here can help. @01101111 has been very helpful in the past with printer questions. Maybe he will see this.

Howard

1 Like

linux has some hp drivers so my first suggestion would be to just plug it in and see how that goes. if that doesn’t work, both ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 (i am not sure which one you are installing) should have a program called hplip installed. i think you should be able to search for it by that name or start typing “hp” and see if there is something like that already installed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Howard, that’s good news.

Pat

2 Likes

i should have checked before posting that. the hp programs do not show up in the regular menu. if the printer doesn’t work with ubuntu, it may help to try running the command hp-setup. i have read other people say they also needed to run hp-plugin, but would start with just setup and see how that goes.

2 Likes

OK, thanks, this is going to be interesting.

Pat

1 Like

Hi easy!

My daughter came over this morning and outfoxed me. She found a YouTube video on installing Ubuntu which she proceeded to do. That put it on one of my hard drives and set up the boot screen to show both W10 and Ubuntu. IT WORKS! I’ve got it now. She had found that YouTube video for using BalenEtcher.

Now I have 3 questions:

1. How do I get a copy of my W 10 Firefox bookmarks over to the Ubuntu Firefox? copy to a stick drive and load them from there?

2. Is there a preferred, simple, free, data base system for text files to run on Ubuntu and do I get and install it from somewhere on the Ubuntu main page screen?

3. Should I have a “recovery disk” for W10 and another “recovery disk” for Ubuntu and if yes, are there instructions for doing either or both on the internet?

Thanks

Pat

What’s that supposed to do?

since i have a firefox account, i can log into it from any version of firefox and sync will add my bookmarks: How do I set up Sync on my computer? | Mozilla Support

if you don’t have an account or use sync, here is a page that describes how to export your bookmarks for transfer: Export Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file to back up or transfer bookmarks | Firefox Help

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s great to know.

Pat

1 Like

Hi Pat,
I too use FireFox on both Windows & Linux. As @01101111 pointed out, I also use the sync option built into Firefox. It will keep your bookmarks in sync between Windows and Linux or any PC you log onto.

Pat, there are a lot of options out there for backup / recovery. And as with anything, there are as many opinions on what to use. I came from Windows, so I had a backup / recovery procedure already in place for Windows. I use Macrium Reflect and highly recommend it. You can run it from Windows for backup and it has an easy (?) restore program that of course has to be booted. This program also backup the important boot partition. Here a link for it and it is free for personal use.

Since I use Windows less and less -and- wanting to keep the two system separate, I use CloneZilla for backup of my Linux system. It is a standalone (boot) program that has lots of backup options. It not too easy for beginners, but yet well documented. Anyway, I use it to backup both the boot partition & the Linux partition at the same time. If you decide to use it, I could walk you thru it. Here the link for it. https://clonezilla.org/

Question 2. – not sure what you are looking for. A database? Well, I seen that OpenOffice which comes with Ubuntu has a database option, but I never used it. Also I believe that OpenOffice will work under Windows.
Good Luck,
Howard

Hi Akito,

I have text files covering 9 years of writing and now I want to put all of that into a data base table so I can search for subjects to pull out into a file just for a subject. Some individual subjects would be taxes, medical science, politics, history, court cases and so on.

I have downloaded archer and maria, but neither had or I couldn’t find / didn’t see anything on how to even start them to see a page to start creating a table!

2 Likes

ubuntu should come with the entire libreofffice suite installed. libreofffice has a program called base that might be of interest: https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll look it up.

1 Like