Problem with install of new Kernel 4.18.11

About updates. You apply the level 3 and level 4 updates too? Being new and a bit gun shy, I un-check the kernel updates for my Mint 18.3 Just not sure what happens on a kernel update. I did apply all the level 1’s and 2’s patches.

I assume that going from Mint 18 to Mint 19 is pretty easy. :cake:

If you go to the Mint Home page there are instructions on how to do so. Following these it is easy to do, but you have to follow the instructions carefully and fully. However, by far the best thing to do is to do a full back of of 18.3 and do a clean install of 19.1 - 19.1 is the latest version which is presently using 4. 15.0-47.

With your lack of experience, (no disrespect) this is what I would advice you to do and would advise anyone new to using Mint to do. Many people try to run before they can walk with many thing and that is when you run into problems. Keeping things easy for yourself means you avoid them (mostly) unless they are of your own making.

1 Like

So for me, being new, a clean install of Mint 19 would be better then trying to perform an upgrade from Mint 18. I then just install the same software that I install on 18. Should I wait awhile or go ahead and install Mint 19?

1 Like

Howard that is what I personally would recommend for you to do, being new to things. The current version is Mint 19.1, but 19 is okay to use.
The clean install is best because it prevents problems and yes then just install what you have along side it.
18.3 is still supported so you really don’t need to do anything right now at all. The 19 series has updates including the some kernel updates. It is also easy to upgrade to 19.1 from 19. 19 is also not such a big jump from 18.3 as you might find 19.1 . So if you install it and do all the updates and install what you want on it you’ll be fine. I know you have experience elsewhere so you should soon get the hang of things.

As I say this is just my personal view based on my experience of coming across from Windows to Mint and learning the hard way of what to do and what not to do. So now it is the advice I give and many have accepted it.

1 Like