Problem with libreoffice/business cards

Hi all, :wave:

I recently wanted to create new business cards with libreoffice but somehow it didn´t work. :slightly_frowning_face:

I tried it the following way:

• started libreoffice
  • tab “file” —> New —> Business Cards
  • here: tab “Private” # I filled out “first name”, “last name” etc.
  • clicked on “New Document”

The opening window however remained empty. Nothing of what I had entered was to be seen. Not even the basic layout of the business card.

I looked around on the net and it seems I´ve done it right. No idea what went wrong. :thinking:

Does anybody of you have a clue :question:

Many thanks in advance and many greetings.

Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello
I just tried, and the same thing happened
But i tried
file-new-templates

i know its not a straight answer, but the business card i made existed
hope that helps

1 Like

@0bill0:

Hi and thank you very much, :wave:

Great suggestion, thanks a lot. :+1:
I had looked into templates previously but I missed the business-card entry.

Well, it doesn´t provide the fill-in options the file —> New —> Business Cards offers
but it´s certainly a workaround.

Thanks again for your help.
Many greetings.

I remember seeing a small program for creating business cards somewhere in the repositories. Maybe in Synaptic?? Try searching in there.

1 Like

I use gLabels for printing labels with input from a .csv file. This may be similar to printing business cards. I print 3 * 7 labels on A4 sheets, many other templates are available on gLabels. I find gLabels much easier to setup than LibreOffice.
Clive

2 Likes

This is all new to me. I know you can get label paper for printing gummy labels, but how does one print business cards? I cant imagine putting cardboard thru a printer?
Or am I being old fashioned, are these digital business cards?

1 Like

thanks a lot to all of you for your replies.

@shamu:

Sounds good. I´ll have a look at it there. Thanks.

@Clivegg12:

Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, that sounds promising.
I´ve always used LibreOffice with confidence and was satisfied with it. Therefore I was astonished to find “Business Cards” not working as it should…
I´ll look into glabels. :+1:

@nevj:

You´re right, Neville. Neither can I.

In fact I use normal paper for printing business cards. I just give them away to a small number of people I know, just a select few…
I just want to inform them about my new telephone number and they can put the “business card” in their address book or wherever… :wink:

No, I guess not. They´re meant to be printed, I assume.
Yet I also don´t know how to print them on cardboard… :thinking:

Many thanks and many greetings

1 Like

Yes, gLabels, that’s what it was.
Thanks! @Clivegg12 :blush:

Hi Rosika,
It seems to be possible

Regards
Neville

1 Like

The business card kerfuffle interested me–I did this years ago, in Word. After fumbling around with Libre Office, I searched YouTube for ‘business cards+Libre Office+Linux.’ One of a great many videos it offered me was How to Create a Business Card with LibreOffice in Ubuntu - YouTube, which explained the process very clearly.

So I created a basic business card and printed it on some Avery Letter 8377 business card blank sheets I had. Worked like a charm. The Avery sheets are basic cardstock (is that cardboard enough for Rosika?), formed with microperforations into ten cards per sheet. Again, worked like a charm in Libre Office Writer.

Took a look at gLabels and gave up. Libre Office was easy, with the assistance of YouTube videos.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

sorry I couldn´t reply earlier. Was out and about all day long yesterday.

@nevj:

Thanks for the link, Neville. I´ll have to read it through with care as it´s quite a lengthy article. Seems very informative though (my first impression). :+1:

@berninghausen :

Thanks to you as well for the link. I downloaded the video and watched it.
It´s very thorough and seems a good path to follow.

The author of the video said in the beginning that the “Business Card” option didn´t work for him either (good to know :wink: ), so he describes how to do it with “Labels”.

The result was quite impressive.

Thanks, I guess that´ll be just fine for me. :smiley:

I´m glad to see libreoffice can be used for making appealing business cards after all.

Many thanks again to all of you. :heart:
… and many greetings.

3 Likes

Rosika:

There needs to be a better description than ‘stumbled across.’ Anyway, I stumbled across www.avery.com and they have a free design and print business card function. Just get a package of your desired Avery business card blanks and make what you want. I used Avery 8377 because that’s what I had in my paper library/pile and very quickly had a stack of cards.

They ask that you create a (free) account, so probably that means some ads in my email. But for free, it’s darned useful.

I also took a look at FreeOffice, but it doesn’t have a business card or label function that I could find. The Avery site is probably your best bet unless there are international things I don’t know about. It works very well in the US.

Cheers!

1 Like

As for me, I use Scribus to print namecards.

1. Create a single card at the format you want (for ex. 85×55 mm), with whatever you want (LibreOffice, Scribus, …) and export in PDF as your master card.
  2. Open a blank document in Scribus, create a image frame of the same format and insert the PDF as link.
  3. Use the multiple copy feature to fill in the page with copies of this frame (automatically arranged, for example 4 rows and 2 cols).
  4. Save and export as PDF.
    This is easier than doing it all with LibreOffice and is as easy and flexible as any specialized tool.
    Moreover, if you have a modification to make, just make it on the master file, export in PDF and your Scribus file is automatically updated.
    This can be done for two-sided namecards. Just use 2 master cards and 2 pages in Scribus.
2 Likes

The advantage I see to the Avery web site is that each project is formatted to be printed exactly on the specific Avery product you’re using. I suppose it could be a problem in the UK or OZ, where the sheets of forms would have to be A4 rather than Letter, but I defer to those folks to correct me.

Linux is all about choice!

1 Like

Hi all and thanks so much for your input, :wave:

@berninghausen:

Thank you for investigating even further.
The link you provided seems quite interesting. The site says:

Free Templates & Designs

so I´ll take a look at those.

Sounds manageable. O.K. I´ll try it.
Thanks again for your help, Bill. :heart:

@silvain:

Thanks to you as well for your suggestion.
I have to admit I´ve never heard of scribus before, so I looked it up in the terminal and found out it´s available in the repositories. :+1:

env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 apt-cache show scribus

[...]
Scribus is an open source desktop page layout program with the aim of
 producing commercial grade output in PDF and Postscript.
 Scribus can be used for many tasks; from brochure design to newspapers,
 magazines, newsletters and posters to technical documentation.
 Scribus supports professional DTP features, such as CMYK color and a
 color management system to soft proof images for high quality color printing,
 flexible PDF creation options, Encapsulated PostScript import/export and
 creation of 4 color separations, import of EPS/PS and SVG as native vector
 graphics, Unicode text including right to left scripts such as Arabic and
 Hebrew via freetype. Graphic formats which can be placed in Scribus as images
 include PDF, Encapsulated Post Script (eps), TIFF, JPEG, PNG and XPixMap(xpm),
 and any bitmap type supported by QT5.

Sounds worth looking into. Many thanks. :heart:

Many greetings to all of you.

1 Like