Programs in appimage format do not show program icons

I need your help for the following program:
I already tried it on Mint19 Mate and now I have Mint 20 Cinnamon, but the programs I use and which are in appimage format have no program icons.

I already checked on github and the resources have icons, I just don’t know if they are compiled correctly.
I’ve tried to put the icons in the ~/.icons folder with the same name as the programs but it didn’t work.
What I have done is whenever there is a new version I add the icon manually to the program.

Do you know if there is another way to do it? Am I doing something wrong?
I have all in folder ~/AppImages

Example of some programs I use:

Thanks
Jorge

Hello Jorge,

I place the appimage files in my home folder and then right click on them and make sure under properties and permissions tab the run as a program /exicutable is check.
Once you do that you can double click the file and the program should run. After that you will need to add each program to the menu manually. You can do that be right clicking the menu Icon, I think is say edit application or something like that. Don’t have mint up right now. When the dialogue box comes up select the menu tab and then edit menu. The place the program where ever you want it in the menu tree. bay adding new item and Name it in the top box I.E. Etcher then select the location of the file under command you will have to find an Icon you like for it also. Good luck.

2 Likes

Hi Dave,
thanks for your reply.
Maybe I haven’t been able to write what I really want
All programs are working correctly with all permissions

When you install a program, for example, Firefox, you have and icon associated with executable file, correct? And you can change it when you change the desktop theme.

How can I have to do the same for programs that have been compiled as appimage?

For example, this is my AppImages folder:

I changed my appimage file names:

I added all the icons to the ~/.icons folder:

But the icons haven’t change:

And I would like to have this (I added each icon manually so you can see what I want):

Is the ~/.icons folder not the correct folder to place the icons?
Is it not possible to have icons automatically associated with programs in the appimage format?

Thanks
Jorge

1 Like

Dave,
After reflecting on your answer, I did the following:
I created the file balenaEtcher.desktop in ~/.local/share/applications/, with the following content:

balenaEtcher.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=balenaEtcher
GenericName=
Comment=Flash OS images to SD cards & USB drives
Exec=/home/jorge/AppImages/balena/balenaEtcher.AppImage
Icon=balenaEtcher
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
MimeType=
Categories=Utility;

I added the Icon balenaEtcher.png to ~/.icons:

Now, In menu, I can add the icon to desktop:

Now, every time I need to update balenaEtcher, I just need to replace the AppImage file and keep the name and always keep the icon on the desktop (I hope so ...)

Notes:
This link has the list of categories that can be used in .desktop files.
You can test if your .desktop file is correct with this command:
desktop-file-validate Beekeeper.desktop

I will consider your answer as the right answer.
Thank you for your help!

2 Likes

Happy to be of help. Glad you got it sorted out :slight_smile:

3 Likes