Question about security and VNC

As VNC can pose a security threat if it’s installed on my home pc, I’m wondering if there is a way to disable it.

VNC is not a mandatory component, so you can remove it, if you whish.
Alternativley, you could disable the server service, and start it only if you need it, in case you have x11vnc installed:
systemctl disable x11vnc
So it won’t autostart on boot.
And start it with systemctl start x11vnc.

Which VNC server do you have installed?

I don’t know, I’m assuming it is installed by default on Debian 10-11.
What do I use in the terminal to find out if it’s installed and what version? The reason I ask is I know I’m under attack as every time I use an admin user something gets deleted, changed or something else happens while browsing the web, so I only use a regular user for day to day activities. I’m just trying another avenue of approach to security.

No, by default it’s not installed.
dpkg -l vnc
Returns

root@Z51-70:/home/laco# dpkg -l *vnc*
dpkg-query: no packages found matching *vnc*
root@Z51-70:/home/laco#

However, after nstalling Remmina:

root@Z51-70:/home/laco# dpkg -l *vnc*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Név                      Verzió        Architecture Leírás
+++-========================-=============-============-=======================>
ii  libvncclient1:amd64      0.9.13+dfsg-2 amd64        API to write one's own >
un  libvncserver0            <none>        <none>       (nincs leírás)
ii  remmina-plugin-vnc:amd64 1.4.11+dfsg-3 amd64        VNC plugin for Remmina
root@Z51-70:/home/laco#

Those aren’t running and listening server services, just client things.

That’s interesting, and it needs investigating.

I wouldn’t worry about that - unless you’re running vncserver and no password on it…
How secure is your wifi and your ethernet? If they’re secure, how is your vnc install going to be compromised?

1 Like

I don’t have it installed, but I’m assuming it may be installed as like I said I’m getting hacked by someone per my post above. VNC was how the virus spread all over Europe several years ago in the guise of maintenance. I had a VPS in the UK at the time that’s how I know and was an inside job take my word for it, I have no desire to go into details. If VNC is installed I want to neutralize it or prevent its install, i should have said just as a precaution.