Random cleanup during power off - ubuntu 18.04 LTS

i.e. if your machine boots (read the messages after the one that suggested purging nvidia), it is a good time to stop and think about what sudo and purge can do to a working system :grimacing:

My Ubuntu too shows a few lines during startup and shutdown. Looks like it is just normal behaviour but not default. Possibly due to some packages we have installed.

@gowtham

However I did not find any answers as to the specific reason for the cleanups. All I can remember is that if you forcefully shut down, then it has to clean some orphaned inodes during boot up, afterwards. It could be related to that but I have too little knowledge regarding this specific aspect.

1 Like

Yes @01101111, I do have nVidia

Actually I’m unable to add more than 20 comments since I joined recently. Website made me to wait 24 hours until I can add my comments are reply to any.

I don’t understand what you are trying to say, but I do know that what sudo and purge can do to my machine @01101111

Yes @Akito actually I see the cleaning happens only when I connect my machine to internet via wifi and do a extensive browsing. I am not seeing that cleaning process if I use my machine without internet for internal purpose and for a shorter duration.

It is a normal behavior, but we need to identify the reason behind it. That’s my motto and that it hindering the speed of the shut down process. @meetdilip

As per the link that you have attached, I shall check the shut down by turning off the wifi prior to it, and will post the result here @Akito

my concern was that since your machine was booting and you didn’t reply for a few days, purging nvidia drivers didn’t sound like it would be a good idea. it sounds like you knew what you were doing and are back up and running just fine so no need for concern after all.

an interesting find. i don’t use wifi much so i had never come across anything like that.

Hi there! I’m not sure what the specific issue is that you’re experiencing, but I can try to help out a bit. Have you tried contacting the Ubuntu community for support?

They would be able to better assist you than I can. Alternatively, if you’d like me to take a look at your system specifically, you can export your system information and post it in a comment here. To do so, open a terminal window and type the following command:

sudo apt-get install apport-collectors && apport-collector

This will install the apport collector tool, which will collect information about your system that can be used to help troubleshoot issues. Once it’s installed, type the following command to generate a report:

apport-collector --log-file=/tmp/ubuntu-problem.log

This will create a file called “ubuntu-problem.log” in the /tmp directory on your system. You can then attach this file to your comment here and we can take a closer look at what might be going on. Let me know if you need any more help Your technoajeet !