Raspberry Pi 4 literally orbiting our planet

Can it get even more amazing than this?

2 Likes

Probably if evolving to HAL9000? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fascinating - thanks for sharing…

Great… That Foundation guy uses a Pi the same way I do (at home) - for Pi-Hole and OpenVPN server :smiley: to access his home network, from work. Note - my work blocks the OpenVPN port - but not the port I use to portforward to SSH on my PiHole/OVPN Pi4B (4GB) running Buster arm64. I can OpenVPN to my home network from my phone, or from a laptop (e.g. Macbook) using internet cafes, or WiFi tethered to the 3/4G on my smartphone…

Anyway I’ve been pulling my HAIR out for the last two days now (feels like two weeks) - trying to get >INSERT-EXPLETIVE-RIDDLED-GRAWLIX-HERE< USB Ethernet Gadget working on a Pi Zero W…

Yeah - I could pre-payload it with a wpa_supplicant.conf file to access it remotely - BUT - I don’t want to use the onboard wlan0 for accessing it! I want to keep that to be able to dedicate to monitor mode… Man it’s tricky… feels like black magic, half the time using the SAME >GRAWLIX< USB cable, on either Linux - OR - Macintosh, I get “cable unplugged”… And - when it does work? It works without any seeming rhyme or reason, maybe 1/3 of the time (black magic), the other 2/3 it doesn’t play ball (bad juju). It’s like >GRAWLIX< bluetooth!

Followed a bunch of guides on doing internet sharing from Linux (it’s a bit of shit sandwich on a Linux desktop really) and MacOS, without success… So far I’ve NEVER ever managed to successfully use avahi to resolve raspberrrypi.local via USB ethernet gadget on Pi Zero (note - I recently received a USB armory Mk II, and that works flawlessly as a USB Ethernet Gadget - but I don’t need to use avahi, because it “ships” [the SD-card image] with a set IP address - so I know how to get to it over the USB gadget interface).

So - I gave up… I’ve got a Samsung micro USB ethernet dongle (was for Samsung Note tablets), it works with Linux out of the box - hooked that up to the Pi Zero W, and now I can update it etc cetera, and install the software I want, to make it a pentesting doohicky-whatsit i.e. using latest Raspian buster, and NOT Kali Linux, but still using the Kali “project” re4son KaliPi kernel…

So’s anyway - I’m playing for fun, and eduction, with security shit on Linux and in IoT. Hence the Pi Zero W for probing WiFi networks in “monitor mode”… Hence the USB Armory MkII… I might also play with setting up the Armory to do some MFA type stuff - but - I also ordered 2 x FIDO USB MFA dongles (one’s a spare - I do tend to lose things) - so I can compare a partial DIY solution, and a shrinkwrap solution (note these fido dooziwhatsits also have fingerprint readers).

Ordered (seems like ages ago now) 2 WiFi dongles that supposedly / allegedly support monitor mode and linux (out of the box), but didn’t really need to as it turns out - 'cause ALL the Pi models with WiFi, including the 3B and 4B, support being switched to monitor mode…

So - I also have a 2nd interview for a job with a cool sounding company, who are heavily into the hybrid cloud space, Linux, some “DevOpsy” type stuff, and SECURITY SECURITY SECURITY. Nice spot too - not too far out of town (near a trainstation) and right near where I went to high school many many years ago :smiley: … They’re a “startup” with a fairly solid “legacy”… Startups are cool, but they often fail, these guys are past all that initial stuff and have a name in their “niche” market within Australia…

For the uninitiated : a grawlix :

2 Likes