Read OneNote document on Ubuntu

Hi all,

Is there a way to open OneNote documents on Ubuntu?

Cheers
Peter

maybe you can try this
https://joplinapp.org/#:~:text=OneNote%3A%20First%20import%20the%20notes,and%20import%20them%20into%20Joplin.

Do note that you have to use joplin note taking app to do this

Thanks. It didnt work.

There seems to exist a browser integrated Linux app implementing OneNote:

https://www.tecmint.com/install-microsoft-onenote-in-linux/

I did not try it (and I won’t), so I can’t say whether it works properly or not.

Thanks Mina. This seems to be for the online version. I have the files stored locally.

Maybe you need Onenote itself from MS.
I don’t know which version of MS Office you have?
The latest real office I could install using WINE was Office 2016 - I could install it in a 32 bit wineprefix.
Samba and winbind packages were needed to be able to install the office2016.
I noted the key steps on Ubuntu 18.04:

sudo su
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt install wine-stable --install-recommends
apt install winbind samba winetricks

Without root privileges, as the normal user:

WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
winetricks corefonts
winecfg

Set Windows version to Windows 7 using winecfg.

Then started setup.exe from the Office install medium.

Recently appeared WineHQ 6.0, with it you may try the Office365 offline installer too.
I could install Office365 offline suite using Codeweavers Crossover, it was possible to install, the apps started and seemed to work, but did not test the functions thoroughly.
If all else fails, you can try Crossover for -I think- 2 weeks for free, and see if it works for you better than WINE?

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. Ive got Wine… however… where I have put that copy of OneNote is going to be a bit more difficult to figure out :wink: I’ll dig it out though.

Cheers
Peter

1 Like

You don’t have to put it anywhere.
When you create your wineprefix via wineboot, a .wine directory will appear in your home folder.
That will contain a drive_c, and that holds your files for your “virtual Windows”.
When you install OneNote (or the whole office suite), its files will go there.

Yep. I meant in my house :wink: I assume I’ll need my own copy of OneNote :slight_smile: