Redo Backup not working as expected

I recently upgraded my 250g ssd to 1tb, after cloning with redo backup, couldn’t restore the backup to my larger drive, rebuilt my system, tried making a backup with redo, it would not recognise my ssd drive. Now using dd which I have tested and works just slow. Anyone any thoughts on how to get redo to work ? I am using mint 19

1 Like

is there any particular reason you want or need to use redo backup?

Thanks for posting my question. :+1:t2:

1 Like

@Tony_Dix According to my research, Redo Backup is based on partclone, as is Clonezilla btw. As shown here, partclone apparently uses its own mechanism for cloning common file system types. dd is only used for unsupported file systems. Therefore, they are apparently not cloning the disk bit by bit, but in a different, probably more efficient way, skipping empty sectors, etc. This does not always work as expected, that is why dd works for you and partclone.ext4 (or whichever file system your system is using) may not work as wished for. Especially moving the /boot parition holds the possibility of making the system unbootable, since file system level changes can change the physical location of data, which is sometimes critical for the OS to boot up correctly.

That said, it is unclear what you mean by:

2 Likes

Firstly welcome to our community. What I don’t understand about this, is why you don’t use Mint’s inbuilt back up tool ? There are plenty of options within it to do a complete back up everything. Admittedly it is best with just personal files from the Home Folder, but does work as I did it when I swapped from my HDD to my SSD.

1 Like

Hi, with my 250g it appeared to work, but with my 1T drive it recognises the drive but non of the partitions, when I tried to restore my 250 image to my 1tb it failed reporting it was unable to write to my new drive, it created the correct partitions but would not restore, so I now use dd, Not sure if mints backup system will restore if I looses a disk. I do build my system with scripts and back up all my data separately. In my old system ( before ssd ) i could restore in under 10 mins if I messed up the os

1 Like

Are you sure the 1TB one is functioning correctly? It sounds a bit like there might be something wrong with the hardware itself.

1 Like

yes it functions correctly, using dd I copied my os to my old ssd without any problems, didn’t know if its something to do with a large ssd?

Hey @Tony_Dix,
Not sure about what Redo Backup version you’ve used, but original is more than 7 years old and, perhaps, they can’t work properly on SSD disks with more than 500GB for example. Have you tried the last (2 years old) Redo Backup unofficial version?

There is also available RescueZilla, the new version of Redo Backup from last november 5 2019, upgraded from a new maintainer. Maybe you want to check it. Since this new version is based on Ubuntu 18.04, I’m pretty sure the 1TB SSD will not a problem…

Hope this can help you… Cheers!
Benny.

2 Likes

Good hint. Sad to see good old projects going dead. Good to see at least some staying alive.

3 Likes