Reinstalling Ubuntu

Helo peeps
I want to reinstall ubuntu
but when i boot into the live USB and try to install
it doesn’t show an option to reinstalll
will it be due to that I also have linux mint installed?

if 20.04 will have that option
then pls state it

ill install 20.04 and upgrade

thnxx

reinstall means installing it again to the same partition when it asks for what to do choose the option something other and select the correct partition to install to and use it as fs-root and the partition you had your home use it as /home

u r w.come.

1 Like

when u do install its like u do install and then u can re-install u no

u jst hav to re-install that it

1 Like

what if i delete the ubuntu partition from windows the install it again?

You don’t need to go to Windows to do that.

Plug in the live Ubuntu USB. In the installation option, choose “Something Else”.

In the disk screen, select the Linux Mint partition(s) and delete it. It will create some free space. Choose this free space to install Ubuntu by pressing the + sign.

Needless to say, be careful in selecting the partition and if there are important data you cannot lose, copy them on external disk/system.

Greetings @abhishek Sir!

I know the method you are talking about but I am just trying to avoid that ‘something else’ option as it can be dangerous.
So, I had an idea.
I am stating it in points so that u can understand It easily.
1- Botting on to windows and then deleting the Linux mint and ubuntu partition.
2- Then, botting on to the live USB
3- In the installation option, choosing ‘Install alongside windows’

I think this will work because it will automatically detect the free space and install ubuntu there.

The reason due to which I am not going ahead is that I fear that when I delete the Linux partitions, windows will still be bootable before installing and after installing.

Please answer the above question.

Thank You

Wow!
Punctuation! Capital letters starting sentences!
Wowww!
No teenage-ghetto slang!
What a great progress! Congratulations! :smiley:
:clap: :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Oh no need to congratulate for that :blush:
I am trying to improve my writing on these formal forums.

I have successfully reinstalled Ubuntu using simple steps stated by me previously.

Thank You! :pray: :pray:

2 Likes

I have some doubts.
I want to test other distros like mint or pop on virtualbox
How much ram should I allocate to the virtual machine?
I am only going to run 1 virtual machine at a time.
PC has 8gb of ram.

One more doubt,
On the tutorial of itsfoss of virtualbox
Abhishek sir used the ‘erase disk and install ubuntu (or any other distro which we run)’ option in the virual machine.
Its safe right?

Thank You

Memory for VM: depends on the load you plan to push on the VM.
If you just want to test some lite distros, 2GB will be sufficient. If you want to use it as well go for 4GB, but don’t assign more than 5GB, otherwise your host system will get easily low on memory.
After some fiddling you will find the right balance.
I used to give 3GB to a Linux VM, 4GB to Windows VM on my laptop, which has 8 GB.
On my desktop, where I have 16GB RAM, a Windows VM, which I boot up only 3 times a year, but then I need it work with, gets 8GB.
You did not mention CPU, but if it comes to performance, this is very important. For a 'just to see if it works" test, I tend to assign 2 cores, but not more than the half of all my cores. So the host sytem remains performant. If I need to work with it, on my desktop it gets 5 out of 6 cores.
As for what is safe:
If you run a VM in Virualbox, it has its own dedicated storage, which is usually a .vdi file in your filesystem. Whatever harm you do to the VM has zero impact on the host system, except one scenario:
If you use writable (full access) shared folders, and in those you keep important data, then the VM is able to delete or overwrite those important data.
Otherwise tinkering in a VM is absolutely totally safe in regards of the host system.
That’s why it is a very good place to learn :slight_smile:
Of course, I assume you don’t store important data ONLY in inside of the VM…

Ya,
I am only going to test some distros.
I will use 2-3 or 4gb ( Mostly 2 or 3 as you said it is sufficient )for the virtual machine.

I will NEVER store important data in vm, becuase, I am only goin to test distros.

As you said it is safe,
I will go for it and test other AMAZING linux distros.

Thank You Very Much