Resolutionzzz... blah blah blah

I didn’t really have a NY resolution, those things are a recipe for unfulfilment, abject disappointment and disillusionment :smiley:

However - I did one thing that I wanted to achieve at the start of 2020…

Pretty much divorced myself from Dropbox and their extortionate practices (limiting you to three devices after you’ve been using it on 5 or more devices for 10 or more years?). So - I’m pretty much 100% “self hosted” Resilio Sync now…

Just gotta get my head around configuring NAT on my home router to for port forwarding TCP/UDP ports my workplaces lets out on the wild world interwebs, then configure my workplace computers to send to those ports on my FreeDNS nodename of my home router…

But Sheez! Resilio Sync’s documentation is just woeful, awful and cr@p - about ports to open and NAT and stuff! It’s rubbish actually!

I’ve got a half-@rsed “hack” working for Resilio Sync, but I have to keep a VPN connection from home to the office and a hard coded “Predefined Host” and Port address for each share…

Anyway - happy 2020 to one and all - truth be known I was asleep by 10:30 pm on NYE :smiley:

3 Likes

Someone on the Resilio Sync forums (a staff member) was able to point me to the place where I could use some “arbitrary” port, to forward to my router, then to the Resilio Sync listening port of the RSL installation running in a freebsd jail on my FreeNAS…

Almost too easy, soon as I NAT’d to the correct TCP port from my router - everything just worked, and now I don’t need to keep a VPN to office connection running 24x7…

3 Likes