Ross using Linux mint 19.1

Am using mint 19.1, and it has been working just fine until yesterday. When I try to refresh the list of updates it says that there is a problem in the signing authority. What can we do?
Ross

1 Like

is this with a gui software updater or in the terminal?

This is when the shield on the panel has an X so I go and try to update.

1 Like

are you comfortable enough with the command line to try and update there to see if we can get some more information?

1 Like

There are many long and complicated answers that will be found and some might be even given here. My advice is simple and uncomplicated and works every time. just reboot and that clears the problem as it resets everything. It works every time without fail for me and on every laptop or PC that we have Mint 19.1 on. It does seem to happen with every version of Mint when there is a new Ubuntu version being done so it could be a problem with them not mint

1 Like

Hello.
Maybe it’s already solved with @ElectricDandySlider 's answer.
If not, try to change the Repo servers location for once.

Greetings
Fast Edi

1 Like

This is what I get when I try using the terminal update.
The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 1397BC53640DB551 Google Inc. (Linux Packages Signing Authority) linux-packages-keymaster@google.com
Get:12 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [74.6 kB]
Fetched 252 kB in 2s (113 kB/s)
Reading package lists… Done
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb stable Release: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 1397BC53640DB551 Google Inc. (Linux Packages Signing Authority) linux-packages-keymaster@google.com
W: Failed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/dists/stable/Release.gpg The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 1397BC53640DB551 Google Inc. (Linux Packages Signing Authority) linux-packages-keymaster@google.com
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

1 Like

I have tried to give you the simple answer to this - have you tried that yet? It really is an easy answer to your problem.

If you really wish to update through the terminal then you should do this. sudo apt-get update.

1 Like

Try a quick reboot like ElectricDandySlider suggested. If that doesn’t work, try running:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

That will first check and sync with the repositories, then install any available updates, all in one command.

Let us know how it goes.

1 Like

yes I did try it, and it dose not work, Talked to a friend in North Carolina and he has the same problem.

1 Like

Okay then you could try this, as you weren’t very specific with the problem and just said it was an update problem. I have not ever tried these solutions as I have always found my earlier advice works and I couldn’t see another with the same problem on the mint forum. So use at your own risk and make sure you do a timeshift before hand so as not to lose anything

1 Like

Just tried it, and this is what we get when we try the normal way of updating
An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb stable Release: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 1397BC53640DB551 Google Inc. (Linux Packages Signing Authority) linux-packages-keymaster@google.comFailed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/dists/stable/Release.gpg The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 1397BC53640DB551 Google Inc. (Linux Packages Signing Authority) linux-packages-keymaster@google.comSome index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

1 Like

Tried this and it works now. Thanks for the help

1 Like

Great news - I had actually come up with another solution which was in the back of my mind for you. If you have the same problem you can try this:
Synaptic package manager; press the Edit button then fix broken packages. Again using Synaptic PM ; go to maintenance and then fix merge list problems.

If this is now solved can you mark it as solved on the solution that solved it for you - to do this just press the 3 dots next to reply on the one that solved it and after the spanner you’ll a box with a tick in it just tick that. It will help our community if someone else has the same problem in future - thank you

1 Like

Thanks for all your help. Wanted to wait to see if things would settle down. We removed Google Earth and then went to Synaptic and searched for google earth, found one file so removed it.
After I did this I was able to get my updates, and today it still works. This seems to be the problem for me.

2 Likes

any objection to me changing the title to something like (any input gladly accepted/encouraged) to something like “Google Earth update error in Linux Mint 19.1” to make the solution a bit easier to find for someone who might be experiencing the same issue, but wouldn’t know by the present title?

3 Likes

This sounds good to me, we are not good when it comes to the terminal. The only time I like the terminal is when I install Wine.
Would be nice to be able to ask questions of all kinds.
Glad we did not upgrade to Mint 19.4
The reason we left Ubuntu was , it only gave me 4 work places, In Mint we can a number of things along the bottom on the panel. Love this for what I do.

What do you mean by that?
As far as I know, you can have more than 4 Workspaces (up to 36).
Just sayin’

1 Like

Thats interesting, It only shows four, how do you get more on Ubuntu
Thats why I like Mint, on the panel you can have as many as you like?
So how do you go beyond 4 on Ubuntu?
In Mint I can enlarge the pointer, could not find a way to do it in Ubuntu.

It’s true, the default for workspaces is 4, I think all the major distros deliver this as a default.

Are we talking Ubuntu Unity or Gnome?

For Gnome, you can add workspaces as you need them by dragging the windows from the overview to the right side and create a new workspace by dropping it int the workspace area.

For Unity it’s not as straight forward, but with the tool CompizConfig-Manager (as described here) you can get the job done.

Hope this helps

1 Like