Saw this on Zdnet

Another article some may be interested in reading. Dell PC supporting Linux.

2 Likes

Pretty sure I’ve seen an article like that before. It’d be nice if the company I work for would officially support an Ubuntu image, but last time I asked they still said no.

1 Like

Fedora did do a kind of association with Lenovo too. I watched a video on Youtube in its official channel

It seems other case is Fedora Linux on Framework Laptop.

I would really happy in see in Amazon Asus laptops without Windows to let me install Linux in peace. Has no sense buy a Windows license

Buy a refurbished laptop for Linux.
It may still come with windows, but at half the price.
You dont want really new hardware for Linux… too many driver issues.

1 Like

Two good points.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion:

To be honest. I got some laptops of second use from other members of my family and upgraded the RAM to 16GB and changed the HD to SSD 1TB and goes well… of course, installed Linux Ubuntu directly. No issues with drivers … well both have the video card incorporated (Intel)

About your refurbished laptop suggestion. Not sure how safe is do that buy, I don’t live in USA. Did you buy one of that category?. I bought 2 laptops 2012 and 2016 and running in peace so far. Not sure if it could happen with a “refurbished laptop”.

The point is: How well was accomplished the “improvement” of that refurbished laptop? … something can fail in less of 1 year and game over. That’s why I prefer do a good investment to breath in peace with the machine at least through 10 yrs. I hope you see my point

Best to all

I did buy a refurbished desktop. It came with a new SSD disk.
It has lasted about 3 years with no problems… runs Gentoo and Debian.

I’ve used a local company that resells computers formerly used by large companies. These companies lease their computers and when the lease is up, they end up being sold at this reseller.

There isn’t anything special they do to enhance the original computer. I think they just clean them up, reload an OS, and sell for a reasonable price. You can then add extra RAM or disk. Whatever fits your needs.

I don’t think there is a warranty included, but it’s also a pretty reasonable price.

Here is an example:

Dell XPS 15-9570 laptop
Core i7 8750H, 2.20 GHz
16 GB RAM
256 GB SSD
$600 US

I’m sure there are better deals, but not bad.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies to all

I did buy a refurbished desktop. It came with a new SSD disk.

How did you know it came with a new SSD?. I am assuming it is indicated through the specs.
My point, when you select that kind of laptop is indicated in detail what is new/replaced/fixed?

It has lasted about 3 years with no problems… runs Gentoo and Debian.

Sounds great, but for WD SSD the warranty is for 5 yrs …

I’ve used a local company that resells computers formerly used by large companies. These companies lease their computers and when the lease is up, they end up being sold at this reseller.

Interesting approach,

There isn’t anything special they do to enhance the original computer. I think they just clean them up, reload an OS, and sell for a reasonable price. You can then add extra RAM or disk. Whatever fits your needs.

When a laptop does not have a good/reasonable protection, for example good ventilation, use a laptop’s cooler, the time of life for the CPU goes down. Therefore the second user already has that drawback in hands. Even when the laptop was cleaned as you said, the harm to the CPU and others components were done. Therefore we don’t have idea how harm is the CPU from the beginning due the caution/protection accomplished by the first user. And change a CPU for the MOBO is other history …

I don’t think there is a warranty included, but it’s also a pretty reasonable price.

Agree, but I live in other country … so even if warranty is applied … I am alone.

About your example, with US$1026 there is a better and new laptop of Asus available on Amazon. Of course I understand your point.

No, not $1,026. Just $600. I think it’s pretty hard to get a new laptop with a Core i7 for $600.

For the last 15 years, I been buying my used desktops and laptops off of e-Bay. Of course, I only look at sellers that have a very high positive feedback. The down side of e-Bay is you will be bidding on the PC, so if your bid is too low, you will not usually not get the item and you could spend several days of bidding before you purchase a PC. These sellers are, like you said, are most likely selling rental returns. And they usually come with only a 30 day money back warranty.

My last purchase was a laptop.
ThinkPad E14 Gen 2
CPU i5-1135G7 2.4 GHz
16 GB Ram
256 GB SSD
Win 11 installed
$235 US

1 Like

The specs on that model were HD.
It was advertised with a new 500Gb SSD
Others were for sale with HD, and they were cheaper
So I assume what they do is upgrade to SSD any with a failing HD.

Failure of electronic components is random. You really only have to worry about disks, fans, and in laptops batteries.

1 Like