Screen freeze/highlight when moving mouse

My mouse is highlighting everything it is dragged across (without holding any buttons) and it will not select anything when I do click a button. Either I close the browser or reboot the laptop and then the mouse will behave - for a while. This happens regardless of the OS (Ubuntu, Pop!, Fedora, Mint) and with both my wireless and wired mice. (Damn, it’s doing it while I type this note!)

Logitech
M585 Wireless Mouse
B100 Wired Mouse

Here is the error message I got when the screen froze, highlighted, that I managed to get from a terminal session when I try to start firefox:

[qrp@fedora ~]$ firefox
Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection. (t=0.49839) [GFX1-]: glxtest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.

Many hits on the 'net talk about the X server, but I don’t understand what that means other than having something to do with displaying graphics, so that may be in the correct ballpark.

Update: I get the same problem in Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Brave.

Host: Laptop AB
BIOS: INSYDE Corp. 3.17 (10/27/2022)
DE: GNOME 43.3 (wayland)
Kernel: Linux 6.2.8-200.fc37.x86_64
Shell: bash 5.2.15
WM: Mutter
CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7 (8) @ 4.7GHz
GPU: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics]
GPU Driver: i915
Memory: 4.37 GiB / 15.39 GiB (28%)
Disk (/): 14G / 232G (6%)
Network: Wifi6
Bluetooth: Intel Corp. AX210

It could be a problem with the touch pad or touch screen (if you have one) and not the mouse or mice.

Maybe a good cleaning?

Maybe you could disable the touch pad or touch screen in the BIOS and see if that helps.

1 Like

Solution: Got a new mouse. The M585 was at least two years old, I now have the logitech M720. Works like a charm.
FWIW, I have reverted to Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS.

I’ve had quite a few Logitech mice that I like. Currently my favorite is the MX Master 2S. They have a newer 3S model that I have not used but don’t think I’d like as well. The battery lasts a long time for all the Logitech mice and otherwise work great

I also have a couple of the Logitech Vertical mice. They both started doing something like what you describe. I could click and drag to make a selection or click and drag something across the screen and it just let go randomly when I didn’t intend to. I checked the Logitech support forums and saw there were lots of complaints of the same behavior. I wouldn’t mind so much if it were a $15 Logitech mouse (I have several of those), but this one cost more like $100.