Separate partitions after install

I woke up too late and realized I should have put my video files in a separate data partition for protection and I am contemplating how to do it now. Advice is appreciated. I have a 2 TB mini, 73 GB free. My bright idea is to create a new partition and install ubuntu (24.04!) to that new partition and point it to the original partition and directory that has my video files. Eventually I can delete all of the other directories from the original partition to save space. I have tried server ubuntu but that was overwhelming so I’ll stick to the desktop/GUI.
Am I missing anything? Am I setting myself up for disaster?

If I understand you correctly that should work, I think. But…it still might not be a great idea. I could see that being very confusing and at some point down the road it’d be very easy to delete something from 24.04 when you intended to delete it from the old partition.

I’d be more comfortable with spending $50+ on an external hard drive to copy the 2TB of video to. The doing a clean install of 24.04 and copying it back to a new separate data partition.

You can always use that external drive as a secondary backup.

4 Likes

Most of my clever schemes don’t work. Thanks for the advice, I will be getting an external ssd for my data directory, and then I’ve still got the mini for more storage. Thanks.

5 Likes