Setup log in password after install

I use Linux mint and have done more installs than I care to mention, mainly on mate but recently got a machine in and tried LMDE of mint just to see what was so different.
During the install I selected auto log in without the need for a password entry each time as there was only me using the box.

This has now changed and it’s left in a central area where anyone passing could use it.

So I want to set password option at startup

Went to users and groups in control panel
Only one user me
But no option for sign on password demand

Sure it was there before on mate version but perhaps I have forgotten and it’s in a different part which has fooled me

Suggestions please

Don’t really want to reinstall or add user with different access but if that’s what it takes…

2 Likes

Just throwing this out here. It was not an exact match, but I hope it helps.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=354005

4 Likes

What happens if you use the passwd command at CLI?

I think autologin is just an account with an empty password. So all you should need to do is set a password.

If that does not work, autologin may be a property of the login manager (lightdm or whatever), so you may need to edit the login managers .conf file.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions.
In the end I used the answer given by Howard and his link as that was the easy option, also I was not at the desk so using the images on the linked web site I could guide someone else to do it,
Cheers

2 Likes

If you change your password, don’t forget to change your keyring password accordingly. Just matter of comfort, so you won’t need to open your keyring every time after you login… :wink:

3 Likes

Where is keyring password situated

2 Likes

Your personal keyring sits somewhere in ~/.gnupg I think.
Anyway, you can change its password using Seahorse.
If your keyring password matches your login password, it will be automatically opened when you login. Otherwise, it stays closed, and you are asked for the password to open it the first time, when an application wants to use a pssword stored there.

2 Likes

Hi László, :wave:

That´s an interesting topic. So I looked on my system (Linux Lite 6.2):

ls -a ~/.gnupg/
.   crls.d             pubring.kbx   random_seed
..  private-keys-v1.d  pubring.kbx~  trustdb.gpg

Hmm… :thinking:

private-keys-v1.d is empty (if it´s the right location to look at).

And seahorse shown no entry either:

“Show personal” tab says: “This collection seems to be empty”.

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes