Shutter screenshot tool editing option in Linux Mint 19.2

OK i’ve done that. Now what?

You are mostly right but the Linux Mint part is for Mint 17 and 18. I think when I wrote it, Ubuntu 18.04 was released but not Mint 19.

I will update the article.

2 Likes

what happens when you double-click on the file name?

1 Like

It opened in the package installer and said all dependencies satisfied. I clicked on install and was informed that it was already installed.

was that for the libgoocanvas-common package?

1 Like

Having to type more than 20 words to say YES is crazy!

1 Like

that part gets me too. did the other two install ok?

1 Like

20 characters, actually. Maybe starting with Donald Duck helps.

libgoo-canvas-perl was already installed from my earlier effort but attempts to install the middle one produced the message E: Unable to locate package libgoocanvas3.

that looks like terminal output. did you use the direct download link for the .deb file from the link?

1 Like

Definitely terminal. The input was “sudo apt-get install libgoocanvas3”. I am afraid “direct download link for the deb file from the link” means nothing to me. Can you express it another way?

i certainly can. how about this? https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/libgoocanvas3_1.0.0-1_amd64.deb

1 Like

Thank you. That makes a little more sense. Unfortunately, after downloading and installing all three items and rebooting, the Edit button in Shutter is still greyed out. Is there yet another magic trick to perform?

Further to that disappointing report I can report success in that the button appears after loading an image. Hard to believe that I have actually got there at last. Learning Linux is going to take longer than I first thought.
Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

Is this now solved then Ken? If it is then will you please mark it as such with the solution that solved it. Thank you it will help the community if another has the same problem in the future. Oh and we are all still learning no matter how long we’ve been using Linux, this is why our community is such a valuable asset to have :smiley:

The solution was in Abhishek’s (https://itsfoss.community/u/abhishek) original article referred to earlier. The problem was my misunderstanding that the first section referred to Ubuntu and the latter portion to Linux Mint whereas I should have followed the early bit as I am using LM 19.2. Further problems were due to my relative ignorance and not understanding how to handle, for instance DEB files.

from my experience it just takes time and practice. it can get confusing with mint 19 being based on ubuntu 18.04 as compared to mint 18 being based on ubuntu 16.04. there are lots of numbers, acronyms and file types (like .deb and libgoo*) to become familiar with and keep in mind, but in the end you did it and got your system working the way you wanted it :slight_smile: