Site cookies blocking and refusing

More and more sites I visit after reading a suggestion in a paper or on line article as do I want cookies. I always select no, or reject. Some sites will not let you in unless you agree. Other offer a option to look at who they are collecting data for as in Partners, you can go down the list of several hundred, occasionall at the very bottom it says reject all, others you have to unselect each one in turn.
But of course you can just say yes of do it to me, which I suspect many do by default.

So my question
Do you accept or reject
Do you do the list and reject

But then have you ever checked to see if they do it anyway…

Some sites I dont mind as its a subject i am interested in following at least for a period, others when I get there I just close the site and go no further. Some I may want the info offered so reject if I can.

Thoughts or comments, please

Just so you can see what I mean

https://www.howtogeek.com/

But please DO NOT FOLLOW THROUGH, its just an example, and there are millions similar.

1 Like

I typically just accept. Some sites I trust less than nothing, so I decline if possible. Sometimes I choose a little X to close the little popup asking for permission. That probably just says ‘yes to all’.

4 Likes

As I don’t visit “dark” sites, I just usually accept, as I know cookies are there to make things work.
For example without storing cookies your browser cannot remember wether you already visited a link, or cannot store session properties on which the server sends information to you (e.g. logged in state).
So AFAIK cookies are a technical necessity.

But they can also be abused to track your activity, and what you see annoys me too… It’s a legal requirement for the sites to make you agree / disagree on cookies, and that question is there for legal purpose.
You can deny cookies, then the site will work only to a level it can work without cookies.
In the past cookies were just used without asking you -and me- first.

5 Likes

I just accept them - I visit far too many sites and usually have about 20+ tabs (sometimes 30 or more!) open (in Brave) and I can’t be arsed having to repeat myself…

Some petitions I want to sign won’t display 'cause Brave tells me the cookie is disabled - it’s annoying - but I just don’t bother signing the petition… Hmmm…

2 Likes

I agree, there was and idea that google would stop using cookies so forcing sites to remove them, but not sure how far that progressed.

A few days ago I was looking for sound systems for our association now I am inundated with publicity for one mark, as a result dont think I am going to buy from them, small protest which they will never notice but I feel better voting with my money elsewhere.

I usually accept the cookies just to dismiss the stupid pop over that’s getting in the way of what I’m interested in reading! I also try to clear my cookies once a week ideally but in practice it’s more like once a month.

About a week ago, I started using PopUpOff after I seen it on Mozilla’s recommended extensions list. It helps quite a bit with the annoying cookie consents.

1 Like

I always forget to clear my cookies…

Would it be possible to make a cron job to clear cookies?
There would need to be a CLI way of doing it.

3 Likes

Guess possible, but the web browser does it in a couple of clicks so really easy just remembering

2 Likes

Is that what all that junk inside the .mozilla directory is?

1 Like

I would imagine so, way to tell is clear it in firefox and then look again see whats left. But dont kill anything left sometimes things are in a strange place by default.

Guess chrome will have the same

1 Like

I just noticed PopUpOff intermittently blocks the reply box popup here. I’ll have to dive into the docs later. There doesn’t seem to have a per domain whitelist.

I’ve always used Bleach Bit (its’ been in Ubuntu’s repo forever). It has a CLI for scripting/crons.

3 Likes

I too usually accept cookies. If given the option, I accept only the necessary cookies.

2 Likes

I am with howard on this, just tried to reject by scrolling down page after page of yes or no to cookies from everyone and there brother… and then though, why bother, dont know if rejecting would make a difference or not.

1 Like

Just read dan the mans reply and suggestion on bleachbit, not a tool i have used, but perhaps that would answer my other question on erasing disks before recycling …

Why is any cookie necessary?
Cant any necessary functions be built into your browser?

Preparing for the end of third-party cookies

Its already in the pipeline to stop, but think its going to be 2025 before we see a difference

1 Like

So sites will still provide cookies, but only their own brand?

1 Like

Thats a good question, dont think they will just disappeared but move to a new format and perhaps different in the way they work or not.

Google tends to lead the way on these things but with other search engines not yet following who knows.

We wait and see

1 Like