Slow starting apps in Ubuntu 24.04

I have this annoying thing on Ubuntu 24.04:
Some applications are very slow to start. This happens every time after re-boot.
First and worst: The 1Password, password manager. After start it gives immediate prompt that it unexpectedly quit with report/ignore options. Then, up to 15 seconds later it just starts like it never quit.
My selected browser, Vivaldi, are also slow to but in no way as slow as 1Password.
Both 1Password and Vivaldi were downloaded as .deb, installed using Gdebi.
And then a few other apps randomly using what seems ages before starting.
Contrary, my Pcloud app kicks off immediately from “Startup Applications”. Pcloud downloaded as appimage.
I have run “systemd-analyze blame” to check. Fstrim.service (11 sec), NetworkManager-wait-online.service (5 sec) and plymouth-quit-wait.service (5sec) are the most time consuming and snapd services use only milliseconds.
I have tried the 1Password community, a few have read but no one responded. Now I try here next.
Any idea about what may cause this?

Some folks have complained that apps installed by snap are slow to load. Are your problem apps installed via snap or as (for example) .deb files?

2 Likes

Note :

Is probably not going to tell you anything about user applications you launch… That’s for stuff that systemd loads probably before or during your desktop startup (and/or keeps running - i.e. mostly background daemons).

Please tells us the specs of your machine - e.g. laptop? desktop? AMD? Intel? How much RAM?

Inxi is useful for system information - e.g. my Pop!_OS 22.04 desktop machine :

╭─x@titan ~/bin  ‹main*› 
╰─➤  inxi
CPU: 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 2996/2200/4426 MHz
Kernel: 6.9.3-76060903-generic x86_64 Up: 6d 23h 15m
Mem: 16218.9/32015.1 MiB (50.7%) Storage: 981.51 GiB (71.5% used) Procs: 559
Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.13
3 Likes

Hi, thank you for helping :slight_smile:
fyi: I have a 2 year old desktop computer, gaming midi tower: Intel i7 13700 cpu, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Asus gaming motherboard and Nvidia RTX Graphics. The computer was once built for gaming, windows on a 2TB PCie mM.2 NVME SSD.
As I do no trust windows I have Ubuntu which resides alone on a 1TB PCIe M.2 NVME SSD.
It may be some problems there with running Ubuntu, but the computer are not slow.
I have considered removing snapd from Ubuntu, relying only on flathub which I already have installed. Then removing 1Password, Vivaldi and others to re-install all from flatpak but would that improve startup speed?
I mean, Snapd is a integral part of Ubuntu, taking care of updates and whatsit and meant to be user friendly. But question is if it’s the right way to go or if there is something else causing this.
But this may be another topic for another discussion, just wanted to mention :slight_smile:

1 Like

We need to sort out whether the problem is with 1Password or Ubuntu24.04.
Could you perhaps try another live distro ( eg Debian12) and install 1Password into
it and see it it misbehaves in another environment?
and
Have you used any other Ubuntu release before 24.04. Did 1Password misbehave in that?

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for advice :slight_smile:
As I have this computer only; would it be alright if I used VirtualBox to try out Debian as you describe? Or will it misbehave?
Maybe make an Image using Balena Etcher and running it from a stick?
I am a bit of a noob, but have been running Automotive Service Manuals, windows 7 in VB. Downloaded and installed VB as .deb - as the Snapd version is outdated and crashes all the time.
Third option is to make a Debian partition on the 1TB ssd where Ubuntu resides, but I do not know how the GRUB loader will work with a third OS?
Any input about that?

1 Like

That is what I had in mind. Not sure if you could install 1Password into a live usb stick.
Never tried that to be honest.

A VM would be fine. That is probably the best way. We just want to test 1Password
in a different distro.

Yes , grub will do a multiboot. I was not wanting to put you to that much trouble.
We just want do a simple test. Avoid this option.

So I suggest you try Debian in VM. That seems the simplest.

2 Likes

Wayland, could be your answer? Wayland is not there yet, no matter what people think. Have you tried just using X11 instead? When you login click your user name and a cog will come up on the bottom right of login screen. Click it and pick the second choice. Have you got NVIDIA drivers installed? If so what I just mentioned might not work. The reason why I mention about Wayland is because a lot of apps have not been written to run with Wayland.

3 Likes

Hi, this man threw himself into the deep end of the lake and downloaded a live debian install, used Balena Etcher and hey presto! There’s Debian 12 on a 250GB partition :face_with_peeking_eye:. It wasn’t all that impressive when I sat with a 800 by 400 screen resolution and 8-bit icons :scream:. About 2 hrs of bad language, cussing and hack later it’s up and running. Nvidia graphics, 1Password, Vivaldi browser and Chatgpt app - All running and starting lightning quick. Found “Gnome-Tweaks”, added the apps I wanted into startup applications and everything got up and running with no delay after re-boot.
Thing is, when I see Debian (Gnome) working, I’m thinking like do I really need Ubuntu at all? I need to think about this for a few days, sit with a triple boot and see how I adapt before I make a decision. Its working quite well and intuitive, having used Ubuntu before. Maybe it is meant to be… :thinking:

3 Likes

Hi @audun_s ,

So 1Password works in Debian12.
That proves your issue was Ubuntu, not 1Password.
Congratulations.

OK, if you you like Debian/Gnome, that is an option… I used Debian for years, its a fine distro to work in. You dont have to have Gnome DE… you can get Debian with other
DE’s… eg I use Debian /Xfce.

There are other good distro choices too. The ones we usually recommend are

• Mint – ubuntu based and good for beginners
  • MX – debian based and well equipped

Sounds like you are coping with multiboot
Having multiple distros is often useful for diagnosing problems.
A few tips for managing multiboot

• decide which Linux distro is going to manage grub … it will be the one in which you
    last did grub-install
  • keep the grub configuration in the grub- controlling distro up to date by always doing update-grub in that distro every time you udgrade any Linux or Windows.
  • if you change /etc/default/grub in any Linux, first do update-grub in that Linux , and second do it in the grub-controlling-Linux
  • if you install a new Linux , do update-grub in that Linux. This helps to get the grub menu working properly by setting up a file /boot/grub/grub.cfg Of course also do update-grub in the grub-controlling Linux.

Sounds messy, but it is actually quite easy to manage.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

Not going to disagree with Neville but as mint is based on ubuntu would the issue not carry forward ?
Thats why i have moved to lmde as that is mint interface on debian background.

That is possible , yes. I forgot about LMDE, but @audun_s seems to like plain Debian so lets wait and see. I think plain Debian is probably even more stable than LMDE.

1 Like

Mint is a totally different kettle of fish, compared to Ubuntu. Ubuntu has Wayland and the awful Snap packages, where Mint is proper Debian based, with the choice of Flatpaks to install. Linux Mint 22 Wilma comes with up to date software in it’s repos, will hopefully be released in the next couple of days.

3 Likes

But standard cinnamon is based on Ubuntu where LMDE is debian based not sure what Ubuntu add or take away

1 Like

Hi everyone, thanks for reaching out :slight_smile:
As I understand, Debian 12 allows multiple Desktops on login. I have plans to install and try the different flavours as I start to know Debian a bit better. The Gnome-Extensions website has been down for a while, so I’m kind of locked in for now - so maybe already try one. Just maybe, but… :crazy_face:
Otherwise I find the Synaptic Package Manager awesome, Flathub likewise and no snaps or sluggishness to endure makes this VERY attractive. I have also found that ChatGPT is a (sometimes) great assistant when having issues - it actually gave me step-by-step instructions to find, install and get the dreaded Nvidia drivers working.
I am not using much of the possibilities Linux’ offers, but I find it a far better work platform than Mac and just forget Windows, Windows for gaming only.
There is a flexibility and user friendliness here that is almost overwhelming.
But for now, Ubuntu stays where it is.
By the way, I mentioned this problem on the 1Password community pages. They have reached out and had me send them a report. They have plans to have a go at it :+1:

1 Like