Slow Xubuntu 20.04 on Toshiba Satellite

Trying to make Xubuntu 20.04 run faster, entered
sudo service apport start force_start=0 and got this response:
**(gedit:34920): Tepl-WARNING : 08:03:51.799: GVfs metadata is not supported. Fallback to TeplMetadataManager. Either GVfs is not correctly installed or GVfs metadata are not supported on this platform. In the latter case, you should configure Tepl with --disable-gvfs-metadata.
^C
[1]+ Done sudo gedit /etc/default/apport
Will this cause problems?

I generally recommend regular backups, especially ones before changing crucial parts of the system.

In your case, I would recommend you to create a backup, make sure the backup works as expected, then you can just try out if your operation would cause problems or not. This is the easiest and at the same time safest way of finding out.

Switching off Apport does not necessarily make your system faster. Now switching off Snaps and Flatpaks from starting at boot, that’ll speed your boot time up. Let me take a look at Xubuntu and I’ll get back to you as soon as regarding switching off apport. I’ve always done it and never had any problems, I guess you updated first, as there is always bound to be a apport update? Just give me a couple of hours or so and I’ll post my results, though doing it in Virtualbox.

I’m going to do a video up on YouTube I’ll send it here, on how to speed Xubuntu 20.04 right up, keep an eye on here, it’ll be going up later on today. Saves me writing tutorial out here, it’ll all be in the video.

1 Like

Finally it’s live, the video I hate because Virtualbox is stupid. Why do they think they bettered it? 5.2 version had a dark theme already built in, display resolution was already inside it, so you booted up your favourite OS and voila did not have to muck around with installing crap to get things to work properly. I warned everyone on YouTube to only watch if you like Linux, don’t bother liking it, because it is rubbish. Though everything I mention will work on an everyday machine, that is able to boot from bios. Have a good laugh at the stupidity of Virtualbox. I suppose at least you get to see as to why I like Nemo file manager so much?

1 Like