So they just released the Raspberry Pi 4

As I was building my Raspberry Pi 3B/+ cluster, I was thinking “wait, soon there should be a Raspberry Pi 4, shouldn’t there?”. So I looked up all rumors, official statements, etc. Long story short, nothing was officially decided, yet. This was a couple of months ago.
About 1 month ago, I saw that a blog entry from the official Raspberry Pi homepage stated, that the Raspberry Pi 4 certainly won’t be released before 2020. I was disappointed, but at least this would give me some time for plans.
Just now, I casually looked up my new mail, and here we go, a newsletter from an approved Raspberry Pi reseller in my country just announced immediate availability of the brand new Raspberry Pi.
Thanks for not giving me preparation time, you guys.

3 Likes

Just ordered one - 4 GB model - with USB-C -> Micro-USB adaptor, USB-C charger, red/white case, 2 x mini HDMI -> HDMI cables…
Can’t wait!
I’ll be running Debian Buster (it won’t arrive till after 5th July anyway) and probably XFCE ('cause I kinda hate “pixel” desktop). Probably just go to an “office supplies” store for a 256 GB sd card…

Planning to sit it on my desk at work and use that as my “daily driver” - hooked up to 2 x HDMI monitors… pretty much all I do on my current Ubuntu laptop (personal) - Chromium browser, bunch of terminal sessions, and rdesktop or remmina to remote customers (who don’t let me SSH to their stuff) - thankfully Synergy have RPi binaries for my software KVM - so I can drive the cruddy work supplied Win10 laptop (which I only use for Skype4Business and Cherwell service desk client).

If that works okay - I might shell out for another one for home… just a shame RPi still don’t have a decent LiPo charging circuit/charging doohickey…

I see Abishek’s posted about RPi4 on Facebook ItsFOSS group.

Anybody else going to buy RPi4?

4 Likes

Tempted to order one. Looks like it’s finally powerful enough to use for everyday tasks now.

3 Likes

It’s out of stock :frowning:

2 Likes

My order’s got a 6 days lead time till they can even ship (Core Electronics in Australia )…

cr@p!

my vendor won’t actually get the RPi4 I ordered until early August!!! :frowning_face:

then I gotta wait till they ship it 3000km from east coast oz to west coast oz…

2 Likes

It’s kind of a preorder and I hate that.

1 Like

With this kinda lead time - I’m seriously thinking about ordering a 2nd one from someone else (will probably have a use for two of them anyway)…

Going to get “ready” for Debian Buster in the meantime too… with uncertainty about i386 libs in Ubuntu from 19.10 onwards (especially wine compatibility - which affects a bunch of Windows games I run through Proton) I reckon it might be time to jump overboard from the SS Canonical…

Maybe even opt for the x64_64 version of Raspbian???

1 Like

I think no one is delivering it at present. The availability date is August. RPi are manufactured in the UK so it may take some time to meet the high demand.

1 Like

Alright! Good news is that Raspberry Pi is sending a sample device all the way from the UK so that It’s FOSS could review it. It’s clearing the customs as I write this message :man_dancing:

8 Likes

This is great. Can’t wait for the review.

1 Like

Nice! Looking forward to reading about it. :slight_smile:

Just saw this yesterday. Something to be aware of: https://bgr.com/2019/07/10/raspberry-pi-4-usb-c-charging-issue-how-to-fix-the-power-problem/

1 Like