Solar storm leads to Aurora in WA

Did anyone notice this

This is quite unusual. We dont usually see the Southern Aurora from Australia.
Something is changing.
The article suggests increased solar activity
May not be good news for climate change

3 Likes

DAMN!

First I’m hearing about it!

Perth’s skies are chock full of bushfire smoke from out of control fires in the Perth foothills… Been warm every day (30+ celsius) last week or so… I don’t mind the heat actually - but I’m fortunate I have aircon to fall back on when it gets too much…

Out of curiosity, the other day, after watching a couple of episodes of BBC’s Attenborough narrated (and presented) Frozen World II - I looked further into axial tilt (of course I was aware of it - but started thinking about what would happen if it changed), and spent longer than I should have (instead of working) reading up on Milankovitch Cycles…

1 Like

It may last for several nights… you may see it when/if the smoke clears.

It seems to be the solar cycle… maybe reinforced by Milankovic cycle state.

1 Like

We had it in Budapest too.

It is explained via geomagnetic “storm”, not something with the Sun.
So it may be even worse. However, I don’t think it is related to climate change, better the Earth magnetic field changing polarity (which also happens sometimes Tracking Changes in Earth’s Magnetic Poles | News | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) )

Look at planetar K-index:
https://www.spaceweather.gov/products/planetary-k-index-dashboard-test

This time it was G3 - KP 7

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/noaa-scales-explanation

Power systems: Voltage corrections may be required, false alarms triggered on some protection devices.

Spacecraft operations: Surface charging may occur on satellite components, drag may increase on low-Earth-orbit satellites, and corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems: Intermittent satellite navigation and low-frequency radio navigation problems may occur, HF radio may be intermittent, and aurora has been seen as low as Illinois and Oregon (typically 50° geomagnetic lat.).

2 Likes

OK, … I thought they meant geomagnetic storm in the sun…
they meant in the earth

Strange… no sign of it is Eastern Australia.

1 Like

Here is an interesting video on YouTube from the BBC. It’s several years old now.

Who knows the truth on CO2?
It is a useful way of generating funding for science.
but
Holding the whole world to ransom is hardly ethical.

Just read the news stories and link that @nevj shared at the top - I’m too far north to see it - Perth is on a similar latitude to Sydney / Newcastle - it’s a lot drier here than Newcastle though - I remember visiting Newcastle (my hometown) in 2015, in February - and EVERYTHING was green, including the grass - here in late Feb everything is pale brown or beige after being dehydrated in the unrelenting dry heat…

RIP Bill Paxton…

Nick Cage recently trended reporting from around Perth about “it’s a dry heat”… :smiley:

1 Like

There is not much of WA that is further South than Perth?
I suppose you might get another 5 deg south?
Perth 32 deg Albany 35 deg approx.
Would that make a difference?

I don’t know - but - none of the witness reports I’ve read mention Perth - always further south…

Honestly I don’t know how much difference 3 degrees of latitute would make, but, the climate in Albany is usually quite different from Perth - just as e.g. the climate difference between Mildura and Melbourne.

Also - some of the other reports I’ve seen, people in Victoria are seeing it.

We are abot 3 deg south of sydney. We can not see it and we have good viewing conditions.
I think our ABC may have hyped it up a little.

1 Like