Solved: How to change read-write permissions on partition

I am going nuts, and feeling like a newbie! Running dual boot sys Win10(ugh) and Mint19.2. It seems, somehow, my Mint partition(sda3) is now “ro” and am having problems using “chown” cmd correctly. Will you please help me out? Here is a cut and paste, of what I thought you’d need to see, from my running the “cat /etc/mtab” cmd:
/dev/sda3 / ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered 0 0
securityfs /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime 0 0
I want the partition to be read and write.
Thank you very much.

The command is: chown -R username:groupname *

But I wouldnt change anything yet.
Did you resize W10 and then install M19 and that
is when you had that problem?

2 Likes

i agree on holding off on chown before you can get an idea of why mint mounted as read only.

1 Like

what kinds of problems or issues are you having that lead you to feel like your mint partition is read only?

1 Like

Thank you wadesmart and cordx for your responses.
wadesmart:No-My partitions have remained same size all along.I’m at a loss as to why I cannot anymore copy files from Mint19.2 into Win10Pro. BTW-I use(for quite a few years) Double Commander(dual pane file manager), exclusively for my file manager, and only get into Win maybe twice a month, very briefly.
cordx:I just tried again to do the copying, AND IT WORKED! Something crazy here??? My attributes are, and have been 777 for all. I’m not going to change anything, but I’ll do a clean install when Mint19.3 comes out next month.
Thank you guys for the help, and sorry I may have bothered anybody. Thanks again.

2 Likes

i have heard of similar issues accessing windows drives if windows has been set to hibernate or sleep or fastboot isn’t disabled in the uefi/bios settings. sometimes it is just a small, easy to overlook setting that gums up the works.

glad to hear you are back up and running. no need to apologize from my point of view. sometimes talking or posting about an issue helps my brain realize what i was missing in the first place :slight_smile:

if you have time to select a solution for the thread that would be helpful. thanks.

3 Likes

cordx-I NEVER make use of hibernate, sleep, or fast boot, in any of my computers. When I can, I disable them in uefi/bios. Sorry I cannot offer up my solution, other than to attribute it to “YAWG” (Yet Another Windows Glitch). Thanks again.

3 Likes