String delimiters in terminals (e.g. xterm)

OK - this is a piece of cake to do in MacOS - I use iterm2 (still better than Tabby) and it’s a piece of cake and the description is in human readable format :

“Characters considered part of a word” - and I’ve added “!” 'cause I have strings that end in “!” and I just want to double click on the string to plonk it in the clipboard (iterm2 and Apple Terminal both do this by default - with middle click paste in a terminal - just like a real UNIX ).

What the F is this called in Linux?

If I search for “linux terminal double click string delimiter” I get lots a hits - but they’re convoluted and VERY VERY VERY F–KING “TL;lDR” like :

I aint got time to read all that shit… I just want a simple PLAIN ENGLISH HUMAN READABLE solution like iTerm2 provides on MacOS…

And there’s this - but I have no idea if this will work - and I DON’T want to be running scripts to do something that shouldn’t be so hard…

Oh well… Rant Over for the time being…

I’ll just keep using MacOS then…

Another right answer might be : “Well why not just start using Tabby in Linux then?” Because BY DEFAULT Tabby doesn’t treat “!” as a string delimiter :

Once again - something written in PLAIN ENGLISH in HUMAN READABLE format…

S0 - I answered my own question - don’t arse about with shonky things like dconf or shell scripts - JUST USE TABBY on Linux.
Note : I prefer iTerm2 on MacOS… but - I’m spoiled for choice and I use Tabby on some Windows systems I’m forced to use…

1 Like

Nice ranting @daniel.m.tripp

cheers mate - there’s nothing I enjoy more than a good rant, venting my spleen…

Well you actually exposed a big issue.
There is no universal definition of a string , neither the way the user writes it, nor the way it is stored in the computer.

• in C strings can be written with doublequotes, but they are stored as a sequence of bytes ending in \n
  • in R strings can be written with single or doublequotes, but they are stored as a sequence of characters surrounded with double quotes
  • in Julia strings are not variables. They are immutable. Julia uses doublequotes
  • in rust there are 2 types of strings, one immutable, the other expandable. Rust uses a set of UTF8 bytes, a pointer and a length. No delimiters are stored.
  • in bash, everything is a string… there are no numbers… just strings of decimal characters.
  • in a gui… well I give up… copy and paste seems to be whatever you click on or drag over.

So if I want to take something out of a window, process it with a shellscript, read that output with C, then pass the C into R… I have to change string formats 4 times.

There is an argument for standards.