Switching Back To Linux Mint

Yes, it’s simple to create a Mint system that does just about everything you might want it to do, and does it reliably. It would definitely be my recommendation as the starting point for anyone trying Linux for the first time, or for the person who just wants a distro that meets their needs without fuss (your 90%).

However, there is something about making the switch to Linux that marks a person out as being separate from the crowd, willing to try new things. It didn’t take me long to become curious about other options - my particular fascination being low-fat systems built on a basic Arch installation.

Somehow, configuring a Windows system to cut down on the spyware, adware and general bloat is just a chore. In contrast, configuring an Arch system to use a basic window manager, and making it fit to be your daily driver, is fun.

1 Like

@Winston
.Configuring a Linux system to run the same software I have on Windows would be a nightmare that I will never attempt. I let Linux do what it will do and Windows fills in the void.

Linux will never exactly mimic Windows software. You must find equivalent programs, which almost always exist. I dumped Windows 18 years ago, but I finally bought another one, but it’s only used as a game console. It has no other software on it but games. EVERYTHING ELSE can be done in Linux.

1 Like

Perhaps, but I have very few issues with Windows and no desire to go total Linux!!! But I do enjoy playing with Linux in a virtual machine.

1 Like

I have a multi-boot set up with three Linux systems and one Windows 10 system (my computer does meet the requirements to upgrade to W11, but I don’t see the point). I can’t remember the last time I logged into Windows, and even then it was only because I thought it was time I did an update.

Linux can do just about everything I need to do, so Windows is pretty much dead to me now.

@Winston

That is true but I will keep Windows on my main work and play machine!!!

There was a time when I needed Windows to download pictures from my camera, drive my Canon printer, etc.
That is gone. Linux has caught up well enough for me.
BSD is a different matter… they are still deficient in providing drivers and are less user friendly.

1 Like