System Info - Where was it installed?

I have been using Linux for awhile, but still have lots to learn.

Background - Using Linux Mint there is a app call “System Info” which gives a very brief information about your system.

The procedure - I also use Zorin. I could not find “System info”, so I went to the software library and installed “System Info”. From the install screen, I can also lunch the program.

The question - “System Info” is not listed in Zorin menu after the install. I assume there was a program installed, but what is it’s name? How can I find out?

1 Like

Hi Howard,
I think getting an entry in the menu, or an icon, when a program is installed depends on whether the install puts a
programmename.desktop file in either
/usr/share/applications
or in
$HOME/Desktop.
or in
$HOME/.local/share/applications
and on what is in that file.

Its name will probably be obvious.

So see if you can find the .desktop file for your program
and have a look what is in that file.

Good luck,
Neville

1 Like

Perhaps it is known as some other app? Try typing just system and see what does it show.

If not, @nevj suggestion is always there as a backup

2 Likes

Hi Howard (@easyt50),
I don’t know which program you installed in Zorin, but in Mint Cinnamon, “System Info” is not the real name of the command, this is just a “friendly name”.
The name of the command is cinnamon-settings info and cinnamon-settings is in /user/bin/cinnamon-settings, i.e., the complete command for run “System Info” is /usr/bin/cinnamon-settings info.

I’m trying to run Zorin on USB Flash, but I’m having problems booting from USB Flash at the moment. Please let me know which program you have installed and I’ll try to look up the name of the program.

Jorge

3 Likes

Hi Howard, :wave:

whenever I want to to get the process name of a running programme which uses a GUI I do it this way:

• I open a terminal and punch in: xprop | grep CLASS , then hit “Enter”
  • Accordingly the mouse pointer will turn into a cross
  • Move the mouse pointer over the GUI application you want to get the name of and click on it with the left mouse button
  • the terminal will display the process name

E.g.:

• xprop | grep CLASS

• putting the mouse pointer over the firefox GUI:

• WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "firefox"

It works with desktop as well:

• WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xfce4-terminal", "Xfce4-terminal"

Hope it helps.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hi Rosika,
thanks for the info!
I didn’t know about the xprop command.

Jorge

1 Like

Hi Jorge, :wave:

how good to hear from you again. I hope you´re well. :heart:

I stumbled over xprop a long time ago. Don´t even know whether it was by accident or by actively searching for a way to find out the name of a running GUI.

I´ve been using it quite often in the past. I never would´ve thought it may be so useful :wink:.

whatis xprop
xprop (1)            - property displayer for X

The man pages seem to be quite informative. There are even some examples there.

2 Likes

Hi Rosika,
Thank you for your kind words.
I hope you are well too.
I’ve missed the forum, especially the people. It’s good to be back :grinning:.

I’ve been reading the man pages and I’ve already added xprop to my list of commands.

Regards,
Jorge

P.S. Apologies to users for the off-topic

2 Likes

Hi Jorge, :wave:

thanks so much for your kind feedback.

That´s great. I´ve never managed to completely read them through. Quite a wealth of information. :wink:
I´m glad you can also make good use of the command.

All the best
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you Neville, Jorge and Rosika. Not only was my question resolved but I learn something from each of your posting. :grinning:

3 Likes

Wow @Rosika I did NOT know that command. Thanks so much.

Sheila

3 Likes

Hey Rosika,
That command seems pretty amazing and useful! I think its interesting how its a command on the CLI, but interacts with the GUI. I definitely will need to keep it in mind for the future.

I wonder what other interesting commands you know.

2 Likes

Hi Jimmy, :wave:

thanks for your comment.

Oh dear. I don´t know if there are many interesting ones. I´ll have to dig. :wink:
Maybe I can come up with something useful…

Many greetings

Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for showing me this command.
I will be saving this one in my notes.

2 Likes

Hi Howard, :wave:

you´re welcome.
I´m amazed that the xprop command is so well received by you and all of the other kind folks here. :smiley:

2 Likes