Systemd just came up in update manager

Hello all, just a question, its not a problem, this below in update manager, came up, I expect its all okay, I have been looking it up and reading about it in duck duck go. I must be a fairly important part of the system.

systemd is a system and service manager for Linux. It provides aggressive
parallelization capabilities, uses socket and D-Bus activation for
starting services, offers on-demand starting of daemons, keeps track of
processes using Linux control groups, maintains mount and automount points
and implements an elaborate transactional dependency-based service control
logic.
systemd is compatible with SysV and LSB init scripts and can work as a
drop-in replacement for sysvinit.
Installing the systemd package will not switch your init system unless you
boot with init=/bin/systemd or install systemd-sysv in addition.

Packages included in this update: libnss-myhostname libnss-systemd libpam-systemd libsystemd0 libudev1 systemd systemd-sysv udev

Which Linux Mint version are you using? As far as I know, Linux Mint has been using systemd for sometime now.

You don’t have to be scared of systemd.

1 Like

Hi Lennox,
I’m really new to Linux Mint. I have Mint 18.3 on my laptop. I believe systemd is just part of Linux. What you see, if you are seeing the same thing that I have on my laptop, is a Level 4 update for systemd. So that means (to me) that it is updating something that’s already on your PC. I chose not to apply the update at this time because of it being a level 4. I usually apply all updates that are Level 1’s and 2’s.

1 Like

Ahhh so I may be learning something, and thank you abhishek, I am using Cinnamon 19.1, the reason I am a little shy or the update manager, when I first loaded Cinnamon 19.1 on to the system,(some weeks ago now) all went okay until I did the update manager, then the system crashed, so I loaded again, and the same thing happened again, I did some internet searching with the error I was receiving and it was a problem with a gconf2,dependency problems- leaving triggers unprocessed, I found some terminal commands on a Linux page that was only up a week or less and applied the commands in the terminal, and every thing seem to be okay.
I think I loaded the OS 3 times and each time I did the update manager the system crashed and would go to a blank screen, but before that a plymouth set of lines in green writing, on the black screen would appear, then when that closed the login screen came up, when password was applied I was sent back to a blank screen. I was in a loop, each time until I found a fix. All seems well now. Also Thank you easyt50,(( I was not aware lever 4 update would mean that it was already on my system)), because the update came up after I used systemd-analyze to find some things out. I think I put systemd -analyze blame, I do have the copy of the terminal results copied on this laptop. Your reply easyt50 was this “So that means (to me) that it is updating something that’s already on your PC.” if this is so I will leave it until I find out more. Thank you all.

1 Like

I am also running Cinnamon 19.1 on my desktop and Cinnamon 18.3 on the laptop. I am sorry to hear about your problems with Cinnamon 19.1. It sounded like you found a fix for the problem. If not, this community has a lot of talented people that has helped me a lot and may be able to help you too.

Lennox, I believe all the levels (1 thru 5) are updates to programs that are on the PC. The updates are changes that will be made to the programs if you elect to put it on the PC. On my PC there is a small box that I can check or un-check beside each update to tell the ‘Update Manager’ wheather to place the update on the PC or leave it off. You can also customize the screen to show the type of update. Briefly, level 1 & 2 updates are suppose to have low impact on your system (PC), while level 3 & 4 may have a large change or impact with your PC. I would stay away from level 5 updates. This is my understanding. Someone with more experience with Linux may want to comment / correct.
One last thing, Always perform a backup of your system before applying any updates. If nothing else go to Timehift and do a ‘create’ snapshot for your backup.

1 Like