Teach me gentoo

And yes, it helped. Now I tagged your lines in mobile version of this website. Thank you.

1 Like

So should I get trained in Ubuntu installation and usage? Okay.

So, I’ve tried debian 9 and 10 and Vanilla Arch, is something I’ve not touched. So, installing ArchLinux is a training base for Gentoo. Right?

I would not go straight to Arch unless you understand how it’s put together? The Arch philosophy is you install it properly from setting up base, then whatever Environment you intend to use. The problem I’m seeing is that you have not got enough experience, which is why I recommend building a Ubuntu system first, then go onto Debian, then Arch, then Gentoo. It’s alright using someone else’s Distro, but if your end goal is to learn Gentoo, then you’re going to have to learn the basics of coding or programming.

Thinking of it as running before you can walk and you’ll end up forever tripping over. Ubuntu is the easiest to learn, then you go up a notch to Debian, to Arch then Gentoo. This way round you will gain experience and knowledge of all of the different Linux flavors. Serge had to do it this way round and no doubt, studied every line of code till he could literally speak it. Yes he took notes and it probably took him a few years to master, but with patience and hard work comes good results, yes it will be hard going, but if you’re determined enough, you’ll get there. Gentoo is not for beginners hence why you need to learn coding and programming, but start with something easy. There are lots of documentation on line, plus books available for making your own Linux operating system. Do not try Linux from Scratch until you know a little more about coding and the command line.

This is what I would do, it’s entirely up to you and I’m not going to say at the end of the day, as it’s the worst saying ever, because at the end of the day you go to bed and nothing else, unless you work a night shift like I do.

4 Likes

@Pranav…Arch is a CLI install, Gentoo is also a CLI install but all packages are compiled. It can take
days to install Gentoo but only a few hours to install Arch.

Days, everyone are emphasizing it; this is interesting…

1 Like

Yeah you’re right :sweat_smile::rofl::rofl:

But I can understand what you’re asking me to do in the above paragraphs. Thank you.

1 Like

You should really start with reading and understanding the Handbook before actually starting to do an installation.

This is a nice project which will provide you with a lot of knowledge about operating systems in general and Linux in particular but actually I would recommend the classic book by Andrew Tanenbaum as a first lecture:

Andrew Tanenbaum is the creator of the Minix operating system.

1 Like

@Mina…Their is a lot more to a Gentoo install than the handbook covers, but do read the handbook>

@4dandl4 Thanks for putting the facts straight for me.