Terminal program with saved commands?

Does anyone know of a terminal program that allows the user to save various commands in order to not have to re-key them all the time?
I find myself using a half dozen or more commands regularly and it would be nice if there was a saved list, maybe on a drop down menu, to allow selecting previously saved commands.
Thanks, Jim

Are you looking for a GUI or non-GUI program?

This is my favourite GUI Terminal. It can for example save commands, so you only need to click on the one you need.

1 Like

GUI is always nice but I don’t need anything fancy. I’m just too old and lazy to remember and re-key commands like “rm -rf ~/.cache/thumbnails/*” and “sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=3d” every couple of weeks. I looked up a website on installing deepin-terminal in linux mint but got this error:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/deepin-sc
Cannot add PPA: ‘‘This PPA does not support bionic’’.
Thanks Akito!
Jim

How about Cronjobs?

1 Like

That’s a clever idea Akito but it looks to complicated for my simple mind. I envisioned a terminal very similar to the one that comes with Linux Mint but with an added feature of being able to save/edit some commands in a list so I could easily run them when I want.
Guess I can just keep the commands in a text file and copy/paste them into the terminal as needed.
Thanks again!
Jim

Just another suggestion:
How about adding “comments” to your wanted commands?

rm -rf ~/.cache/thumbnails/* # Clear thumbnail cache

So you can easily search and select them with Ctrl+R
Not your wanted solution, but kind of a workaround… and kind of lazy :wink:

1 Like

A text file is how I save my commands.

1 Like

If you are only interested in half a dozen commands how about using up or down keys to search through your past. An easy solution if not many commands

Good idea Fast Edi! Thanks!

That works but I have so many entries in between the times that I use those half dozen.
If there was a way to display all of the saved, past commands and pick and choose…
Thanks ObillO!

Do you have a fixed list of commands you use or does the list of commands change often?

1 Like

Can the “bookmarks” tab in the terminal help, I’ve been trying and got a few commands that I can recall. this works for all i have stored, but i dont know if it will configure for a greater library!

1 Like

I have a few that I use regularly and I add more as I learn them.
What about you? Do you use lots of commands? Are they easy to remember?

The terminal program that I’m using doesn’t seem to have a bookmarks tab.

Well, I have a list of over 200 aliases I use for the commands I use commonly. But for recurring operations it is really best to use cronjobs, as displayed earlier. It is not that hard to set up.

2 Likes

THANK YOU AKITO!!!
I’m marking this SOLVED.
Although, after about 4 years using Linux, I consider myself quite the newbie - but, thoroughly in love with Linux. ALIASES are all new to me and I have some learning to do but this already seems to work just fine for what I want.
On another note, I FINALLY convinced my wife to give up on WIN 10 and converted her laptop to Linux Mint last week. I think that I have a new convert to the Linux family. :slight_smile:
Again, thanks so much for your help!
Jim

1 Like

I know this is solved - but this kinda looks like a use case for the “script” command…

It’s installed by default on Ubuntu, and I know it was “stock” way back when in Solaris 7/8/9/10 etc…

Just type “script output.txt” and it will plonk you into a “subshell” - everything you type gets recorded (and output too into “output.txt”)… once you’re done, type “exit” and you’ll be back in your previous “shell”. Everything you typed, and feedback/responses/output, will be in the file “output.txt”…

2 Likes

Thanks Daniel!
I’ll check that idea out too.
Jim

Just push up arrow key on your keyboard with Terminal open, to see the last command you used.

1 Like

Thanks Mark! I appreciate the reply.
Jim