Text to speech not working from any browser

I used it for months sometime in 2020/2021 in MS Edge. Then sometime in 2021 the text to speech was no longer an option.

It also used to be an option in Firefox, but isn’t. Chromium add-ons for text to speech also no longer work.

Did someone patent whatever text to speech tech all this was based on and now it’s not available?

Mainly using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and MS Edge Version 105.0.1343.50 (Official build) (64-bit) right now. I have tried a few different distros, not all based on Ubuntu.

4 Likes

I dont know why, but it certainly has disappeared from browsers.
There is something in Android. I have never used it.

The Read Aloud feature for MS Edge works on Android. Just not on Linux or at least Ubuntu or a couple other distros I’ve tried.

I just really like the voice they used. They’re very natural sounding. I usually used the “Microsoft Natasha Online (Natural)” voice option. It has an Australian accent and I could image Olivia Newton-John was reading the page to me.

2 Likes

does Edge have a Github site. Try posting an issue.

Off-topic:
There is an article on Podman in the Sept issue of Linux Magazine

1 Like

I saw that. :slight_smile:

I think I did provide feedback to MS through the feedback link in Edge. They confirmed they received the feedback, but no update since then.

2 Likes

I think it could be Ubuntu, as I had 3 failed TTS compatibility and about the rest of the browsers it could be a compatibility issue that they couldn’t address so removed the feature altogether. I’m currently using a separate AI text to speech model and might have to rely on it for longer than I thought…