Things that Prevent Me from Totally Abandoning Windows

You have 3 good options here.
First option, install PlayonLinux, and then install for example Office 2007 or Office 2010
Second option. ONLYOFFCE desktop editors. This program gives very good formatting
Third option, Microsoft office online

I agree about LaTeX.

The cloud service Overleaf provides numerous templates for academic work and you can even submit directly to some journals. It’s free for quite a lot of data and the software is always up to date. You can start your project on Overleaf and then dowload it to work offline on your own computer (any operating system). I use TexLive (full version), with TexStudio as front end.

If you really must start with a wordprocessor, LibreOffice Writer has a set of output filters that convert your text to LaTeX, which you can then paste into your Overleaf template.

No excuse, either use virtualbox or just try OpenOffice. I prefer openoffice but I have never had any issues with either Libreoffice or Openoffice other than Libre tends to have some launching issues latey so I use openoffice.

What about giving Softmaker a try? www.softmaker.com a try? It’s MS compatibility is very good!

How do I delete my profile?

CorelDraw was licensed from Xara; that marriage in hell didn’t last long. Xara went on to expand on their core code.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjLgqTqsIHhAhXQdn0KHdzmCoAQFjANegQIDBAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xara.com%2Fus%2Fgraphics%2Fdrawingsoftware%2F&usg=AOvVaw1fTr9G66k9N1K82C28Dl18

(I really hate Google lately.) Anyway, I haven’t really kept up with Xara/Magix which I thougth was a half-vast marketing mistake,

Are you sure about that?

I’ve used CorelDraw since version 3, on Windows 3.0, circa 1991…

I think Xara is a raster/bitmap product… I’m talking about CorelDraw, the vector illustration product - and most certainly not CorelPaint or Xara…

I do recall that Corel supposedly ported CorelPaint to Linux - however it wasn’t really a “port” - it was just the Windows version with Wine packaged within the installer.

Corel also ventured into the Linux space with their own Distro - but that didn’t last very long… And then they also bought some office products from Novell and tried competing against Microsoft, with WordPerfect, Quattro-Pro spreadsheet and others - like that was ever going to work…

The old meme about not being able to exit vi/vim? Back in the day when I was doing desktop support - I had no idea how to exit Wordperfect - if I came to do some work on a PC running wordperfect and the user wasn’t there? I just used to hit the power button because I didn’t have a clue how to exit Wordperfect :smile:

Sounds like a typical console to PC port of a video game, where the game runs with 12 FPS on the best hardware. :smile:

split this topic #28

11 posts were split to a new topic: Archive of a time waste #1

@cliffsloane

The last time I tried au naturel, it was brrrrrhhh…!

My post in the Lounge for those who want to see a list of Open Source Software (OSS) that rivals Windows Programs.
OSS is mainly for Linux, but many can be installed on Windows and Mac.

Here is a link to my website’s download page for the document that contains a list of Open Source Software (OSS) some of which also work on Windows and Mac. I would appreciate any additions or editorials to make it better. Enjoy!