This forum has even more importance these days

I was just sitting here thinking that this forum has even more importance than it might have even a few months ago, due to Reddit’s little temper tantrum. Since all their subreddits seem to be made private recently, we should try to fill in here for what we can’t access over there, covering the gaps in knowledge.

I know that in the short time I’ve been hanging around here, I’m pretty driven to make this inclusive of just about everything regarding Linux, so I’m going to be scraping my brain for new things to write about that might be beneficial.

Just a thought.

8 Likes

I am sure we will all benefit by your input and creation of interactive discussion, looking forward to your contributions.

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to read your posts!
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I never had much succes with reddit. Some distros (like Void) seem to have their forum there. I think itsFOSS would be a better place for small distro communities. What can we do to attract them?
We all appreciate your efforts. Things are happening here.

3 Likes

I think we just mention this group to all our friends and anyone we know that’s into FOSS/Linux. I know I try to show people my tutorials, and that kind of turns them on to the group. Plus we can start our own distro communities. Like we have one for Ubuntu, why not start one for some of the lesser known distros like Void?

1 Like

I am not sure how one starts a distro specific discussion. Maybe just start a topic.
We are doing OK with Gentoo, perhaps we try some others.

what are those? (friends) :smiley:

we’re all geeks in our mum’s cellar keyboard warriors!

Only kidding, but, I do have friends, but they’re not Linux users… e.g. among my colleagues, they’re all Windows admins, and outside of work, mostly Metal music, and in the past, motorcycles…

same, if i were to invite any of my friends here it would be to teach them the basics of Linux. lol

1 Like

I mean you can’t include all the distros, because there’s like 600 of them, but maybe pick like 3 or 4 of the popular ones around here and ask @abhishek to make a room for them? Just brain dumping here.

2 Likes

I’d like to see a specific section for Gentoo (i.e. alongside Ubuntu and Mint) - seeings how we now have at least 3 Gentoo users at varying skill levels… And we also have quite a few Arch users too…

2 Likes

I’d have a field day with an Arch board. lol

1 Like

We currently have categories for Ubuntu, Mint, OpenSuse, and Other Distributions.
The Gentoo discussion is currently in Other.
I thought @Doron_Beit-Halahmi was suggesting something more than just a category.

2 Likes

Distributions mentioned here have their own community forums. Why do double work?

The Void community would perhaps love their own place, perhaps in here. But Gentoo? They have their own massive community spaces, same goes for Mint, Ubuntu, and Suse.

r/FindMeADistro is going down on Reddit at the end of the month. Since we recently have that tag over here now, more people are (hopefully) going to come here for advice regarding choice of a distribution.

We cant compete with those.
I would like to think what we can do is provide higher quality help and more interesting discussions.
Perhaps we should focus on those aspects rather than on specific distros.
We also spend a lot of time on apps rather than distros.
The focal point is free software not just Linux.

3 Likes

Agree 100%. I use Mint and I also am a member of “Linux Mint Forums” which is a very large forum.
I have found this site way more helpful and interesting. Plus a person actually get to know each other.

6 Likes

I don’t think anyone was suggesting that, I certainly wasn’t… But both Ubuntu, and Linux Mint have their own “sub-sections” on here… So adding more wouldn’t hurt… See Ubuntu already has heaps of avenues, some more official ones, sub-reddits, and others, but we also have one here… I like it…

Nev’s point is something I agree with… it’s a tad more personal, given many of us are regulars here and get to know one another…

4 Likes

A bit late to the conversation, but I have to say since most of what I discuss or need help with is Linux versions and apps. I am so grateful to have found ItsFOSS back when I first discovered Linux several years ago. I had just bought a brand new state-of-the-art computer after suffering with MS issues like 100% disk usage and it came installed with W10. First update killed my bluetooth and I said “ENOUGH” and found an article by Abhishek on the different distros, specifically for new users, subscribed to his blog and I have never looked back. Since establishing this forum, I find little use for Reddit and substacks as I recognize the members and am learning much just from the discussions here, not to mention there are many “incorrect” solutions elsewhere. Now when I do search the web for answers, I always choose the its foss result as I have learned I can trust the guides and now I can just post on here for help & answers. I love that we are getting tutorials/guides and I definitely want to contribute where I can, but consider myself still a noob. As of today, I found Ventoy (from Abhi’s article) and was amazed to find that I could use the same flash drive to install multiple distros so that I can now try out Linux Mint and others I have never used. If we add more subsections on more distros, I will have more to read/learn and that is a plus for me.

7 Likes

I just wish to echo that sentiment. I really helps me too.
Thank you @Sheila_Flanagan for making this reply

4 Likes