Thunderbird - New Message Icon

bodhi/ubuntu is still at 60.9.0 as well. i just meant you could use 68.2.2 from a download/executable if you wanted to try it.

1 Like

here is a fairly recent article about installing birdtray in ubuntu/mint through a ppa and here is the ppa which lists a bionic version.

1 Like

Thanks @kovacslt and Cord,
I already installed and test it.
BirdTray works very well with TB and don’t need to give google credentials to work: It only needs the TB’s database to look for new messages

This is want I really I was looking for but I’ll test Mailnag once again because I found something and maybe I can get it working…
I’ll get the feedback

1 Like

out of curiosity, did you use the ppa or build from source?

1 Like

Cord,
I used ppa from the link you gave me to install BirdTray

About Mailnag:
I installed it again but I only got notification windows

@wadesmartm,
Thanks again for the tip to use Mailnag.
Maybe I could do something wrong but I can have the icon for new messages with Mailnag

Thank you all for the support you gave me

1 Like

In Ubuntu, in the sidebar dock, if you add Thunderbird icon as " favourite ", you will get a red notification badge with unread mail count on the icon. Will try to get you a screenshot of that. But looks like you have your solution already.

2 Likes

Hi @meetdilip,
Thanks for reply
I have TB icon in panel but I don’t get the red notification badge
Are you running Ubuntu with MATE DE?

1 Like

Default Ubuntu 18.04 ( Gnome 3.28 )

Notification bubble is working for me from the beginning.

1 Like

Thanks, @meetdilip
I don’t have knowledge about this and what I’ll write could be wrong.
I think you are using gnome shell which is for gnome 3 and could be a feature of gnome3/gnome shell.
I use MATE DE which is gnome 2,
Maybe this is the reason I don’t have the red notification badge on my TB icon, but sincerely I really don’t know why. This is just a thought of mine

2 Likes

About Birtray

I added Birdtray to the Startup Applications to start automatically when I run LM but I got this error:
BT_Error

To correct this error I needed to add a 5 seconds delay:
TB_delay

In my case, this delay solved the problem and now, the Birdtray starts running automatically when I log in

2 Likes

LInux Mint Mate 19.2 just updated Thunderbird to v.68.2.1 and, in my case, I lost the calendar and Birdtray stops working.
I needed to remove Lightning add-on and after reboot to TB to have again the calendar.

With Birdtray:
In Settings>Accounts to Monitor
I changed to "Using Mork Index Files (Recommended) and added inbox-1. msf on accounts to monitor which in my case is in /home/jorge/.thunderbird/YOURPROFILE/ImapMail/imap.gmail.com/INBOX-1.msf

Hope this info could be useful

2 Likes

“If you use Thunderbird, could you please confirm if you have or not any icon in tray when you receive new email”

No, there’s no tray icon.

Newly arrived Thunderbird signals are marked with a wee yellow star though.