Thunderbird - New Message Icon

In WIN10, every time I receive an email, Thunderbird shows an envelope icon in panel tray
Now, I’m changing to Linux and I realize I don’t’ have this notification. I think this notification is native form Thunderbird,
I found plugins and other programs to show an icon when I have email in certain accounts.

My question is:
-If you use Thunderbird, could you please confirm if you have or not any icon in tray when you receive new email

Thanks,
Jorge

i have gotten active pop-up screen notifications (similar to when someone sends a message here or replies to a post if i am using firefox when they do so) when i get an email, but never anything in the panel tray. i don’t often run thunderbird in the background though. i tend to open it, let the messages populate and close it again.

under general preferences for When A New Message Arrives, i see “show an alert”, “play a sound” and “show in the messaging menu”, but it is possible there are some variations there depending on distro and de.

1 Like

Mailnag does this. Just install from the repos

1 Like

Thanks @01101111 and @wadesmart,
for the answers

I’ve got pop-up too and same preferences as yours except “show in the messaging menu”. I don’t have this settings

Thanks, I’ll test it.

So, Thunderbolt for Linux (60.9.0) don’t have this native function, correct?

1 Like

Thunderbird? I do not know. I no longer use a mail client.
Though I used Tb for years and it was solid.

Found this thread talking about using mailnag and integration with gnome.

1 Like

looks like the mailnagapplet works directly with mailnag and cinnamon so it doesn’t necessarily involve thunderbird for the notification, but still seems like it would get the job done.

1 Like

I installed mailnag but didn’t have access to google account.
I needed to create a password at https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords and use it in mailnag

My example:
TB

1 Like

I’m testing mailnag
I’ve pop-up notifications but no tray icon…

1 Like

I have “enhanced-desktop-notifications” addon in Thunderbird.
That provided the functionality you are missing.
At the moment this addon is incompatible with the latest version of Thunderbird, I still wanted to mention it, because hopefully it will be updated soon.

2 Likes

Thanks @kovacslt
I’ll kee this info tho install the plugin as soon as is available to last TB version

@wadesmart,
Do you run mailnag on MATE DE?

1 Like

Just came back to tell you that you probably won’t need it.
This addon was one of my favourites, and it just broke few days ago.
But because of cosmetical things I had to disable Thunderbirds builtin notification.
Now that this addon dos not work anymore, I removed it, and gave a chance and reenabled the builtin notification window.
And it’s working!
Thunderbird 68.2.2 shows me native notifications upon new mails, this happens on Debian Buster u2.
Now I miss only the “classic” look of TB, which I achieved via “customize my bird” addon…
Maybe I’ll look for some replacement if I’ll have the time for it…

This is how it looks:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lePCnlDAwVYipkW1mhPGXvehPWv2OPCg/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

@kovacslt,
thanks for the reply
I have TB v60.9.0 and Linux Mint 19.2 doesn’t have any update for this program
I know TB actual version is v68.2.2
I don’t need to wait until LM updates the package?
Can I install TB v68.2.2?

1 Like

I think on that version the notify addon should work.
Not sure, though…

2 Likes

I have notification windows working correctly
What I don’t have is the “Envelope Icon” near the clock for new messages

Ah, I completely misunderstood…
Sorry :frowning: that’s my horrible english…

Maybe something like this

is what you are looking for?

1 Like

i did this the other day in response to this thread. as it stood at the end of that process, thunderbird 68.2.2 was a standalone program that had to be run from executable and wouldn’t get updates (for the program. obviously it would get mail updates). i think i recall reading how such programs can be integrated into the system, but have never done so.

1 Like

@kovacslt,
I change to WIN10 en took a printsreen:
TB

This is the thunderbird’s icon for new email and I don’t have it in Linux

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Cord
When I swithed to WIN10, to capture the srcreen, the TB for WIN updates to 60.9.1.
Only in LM stills in 60.9.0

1 Like

Thanks, @kovacslt,
I’ll test birdtray too

@Tech_JA
OK, I see.
Birdtray gives similar function. It’s in the Buster repo. I’ll look for it in Mint, probably it’s there too:
sudo apt install birdtray

Then selectin Bidtray select your INBOX.msf.

For me it’s now flashing: Bird icon 0,5 sec, unread counter 0,5 sec…

1 Like