Timeshift partition,mounting &Secondary HDD mount destination

I have some questions relating to Timeshift mounting & secondary HDD mounting

1.Is it viable to have a separate Timeshift partition?I learned that Timeshift snapshots are saved by default on the system root partition( / ) in path /timeshift but I want to create a separate partition for Timeshift & mount it to a newly created directory under a mountpoint.I want to have this done on the same hard disk not an external one.
My question is where do i mount it?is it /mnt or /run or some other mount points And do i need to create another directory beneath the mountpoint?

2.If want to add a secondary HDD for data storage,where do I mount the drive partition(file system)?Do I mount it to /mnt ,/media or /home/username/data.?

In Debian it is normal to use /mnt or /media as user controlled mount points. Not sure about /run, the system might use that, best to avoid it.
You should be able to tell Timeshift what the mountpoint is.

For an external HDD the same applies. There are no inbuilt rules. You can use /home/username/data if you want. Just be careful not to use a directory with files in it as a mount point… it will work but it will mask your files whilever that mount is active.

Regards
Neville

Thanks nevj,
FSSTND version 2.3 says this of the directory(generic mountpoint) /mnt.
" This directory is provided so that the system administrator may temporarily
mount a filesystem as needed.
This directory must not be used by installation programs: a suitable temporary
directory not in use by the system must be used instead."
& /media mountpoint is for removable media.

This is where the confusion begins as HDD is considered permanent attachment to system & system must not be unbootable if it is removed.

So I just try out either /mnt or /home.username/data as mount point for secondary HDD filesystem & see if everything goes smooth & doesn’t break the Linux Os.

@nevj
I try to either use a / partition by itself or a /home partition and use it to store
timeshift snapshots. I will not ever lock down another partition just for timeshift.
Wish you would look at this for me Rename a grub entry - #3 by 4dandl4
do not know why Linux cannot make this a more simple process.

Yes, I think that is correct.
Thank you for clarifying
Probably better not to use /mnt either, in case you want it for something else. Make your own mount point.

I have a directory called /common which is used just as a mount point for a large data partition on one of my HDD. It is mounted in /etc/fstab, so it has to be present at boot time.

There is a tradition for having mount points in the root directory, but that is not essential. A mount point can be any directory, preferably empty.

Neville

I have never read the specification of the /media mount point, so my entire opinion about it is based on my personal experience.

So, according to my personal experience, /media is more of a GUI Linux thing. I always see it in Ubuntu and Debian end user Desktops, but I never see it on GUI-less Linux, like servers.

Therefore, in my head I associated the two with each other. Other than that, I’ve never seen a difference between /mnt and /media.

That said, I almost always use /mnt for mounting anything, either way, because I’m used to that and I don’t see the point in switching between /media and /mnt.

Hi Daniel,
I have been thinking about that.
Had a mini disaster yesterday and was busy recovering a disk with clonezilla.
I need to check a few things in the PC, but yes it can be done by editing the grub config file. However, with grub2, the config file gets overwritten if you do update-grub, so changing it would not be permanent… I need to look and see how to fix it permanently.

Will get back to you
Regards
Neville