Tiny text in Moneydance

My new laptop has a fairly high resolution LCD screen, 2880 x 1800. It’s running Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS, all updates installed.

Everything looks great on the screen except for Moneydance, which I use to keep my checkbook register. The text and numbers in the Moneydance window are tiny, even though it’s set to the largest font size in the Moneydance preferences. It’s quite sharp but it’s very small.

If I enlarge the window all that happens is the blank spaces on the page expand but the text does not change size. Using Gnome Tweaks to increase the minimum font sizes has no effect, nor does increasing the scaling factor. Hitting CTRL+ has no effect. (There is a “Scale” adjustment in Settings > Displays with choices of 100%, 200%, and 300%. Only 200% is a viable choice, the others being way too small or too large and a bit blurry when fractional scaling is activated.)

It seems that Moneydance writes to the screen in a way that bypasses Ubuntu’s settings. I worked with the Moneydance tech support folks without finding an answer.

Any suggestions?

Maybe they use bitmapped fonts and they could be replaced with a larger version?

That sounds like a possible explanation of the problem (based on my very limited understanding). I’ll search for where MD keeps its fonts and see what trouble I can get into.

1 Like

This help page had the answer:

The first two times I tried this fix it had no effect. (Surely I had done something wrong.) The third time, a few days later, it worked.

4 Likes

Worked right away for me. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi @Anita_Lewis ,
Welcome.
Glad you found something useful , and thank you for
acknowledging it.
Regards
Neville

1 Like