Tiny W11 Install

No, this is not Linux, but for all that is running or has been
running an activated version of W10, then you might want to give
this a read.
What is Tiny W11? Well in a few short words it is a stripped out ISO of W11. It installs without Onedrive, Edge, Office, Cortana and
does not need TPM or UEFI to boot
I have this installed, and am using Tiny W11 on a Dell XPS L702X
laptop, that has no TPM or UEFI, it is only legacy boot. It is not a
hacked version of W11, which I have used but no longer, so far Tiny W11 has been fully supported with MS updates.
For those whom might be of interest, here is the DL “Tiny 11 B 2(no Sysreq).iso : NTDEV : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive”
one thing, I had to burn this to DVD to get the ISO to boot.
I also did a clean install of Tiny W11 and it still activated.

3 Likes

Microsoft better had to offer me such thing with Windows 10.
And just before I discovered how I can use Linux for my work…
They missed it.
Toooooo late now, I’m never going back to Win :smiley:
Thanks anyway for mentioning this, it may be useful for some of my friends, still tied to Windows :wink:

5 Likes

Does it come with drivers for WiFi and printers. Afterwards can you visit the Microsoft store or download and install standard apps such as chrome, libre office and be able to use it as a normal windows machine. Will updates happen as before
Too many questions before you are forced into windows 12

4 Likes

@callpaul.eu

Tiny W11 picked up my wifi for login very easily, I have no use for a printer with this laptop.
Tiny 11 had no problem connecting with my HP2600 wifi printer.

I do not need Chrome but it does run Firefox very well, I do not need LibreOffice but I am sure it can be downloaded and installed. I really do not use that many MS store apps, so will have to see and try the MS store app.

I’m sure W12 will weed out a few more incompatible machines.
But for, the as-of-now, Tiny W11 beats running W10.

2 Likes

@kovacslt

Maybe your friends know what really works!!!

This tiny Win11 installs in Gnome Boxes quite easily, if slowly. Just give it 52 or more gigs instead of the usual 20G. I don’t really intend to do anything with it, but it seems to make a good virtual installation.

2 Likes

Thats an enormous space for something called ‘tiny’

3 Likes

@nevj
I have only used a little under 24G, even with a few more apps installed.

Still no competition with Linux but interesting to read about depends on take-up and faults down the line

2 Likes

True, but I really do not believe Linux will ever catch-up to Windows, when it comes to market shares. If Tiny 11 is running 6 months from now I will be happy!!!

52G instead of the default 20G? When I have a terabyte of HD space to use? Both are tiny.

1 Like

Hi Bill,
That is not the comparison I was making.
I have Debian running in a qemu space of 10G, and I imagine something like Tinycore Linux would run in 5G. Win is enormous compared to Linux…because it does more things… and some would say it does things better.

Sadly, this one “speaks” only english.
Is there a localized, or localizable version?

1 Like

There may be, see this
https://twitter.com/NTDEV_/status/1624159950510383119?lang=en

2 Likes

Thanks, @nevj !
[block to fill up to 20 chars]

Don’t know what qemu is, so I don’t understand your comparison.

@berninghausen
[quote=“Bill Berninghausen, post:16, topic:10530, username:berninghausen”]
Don’t know what qemu is
[/quote]

It is the Linux equivalent to VirtualBox for a VM.

Hi Bill,
You use Gnome Boxes. It uses qemu as its driver. So Boxes IS qemu, but with a nice graphic interface.
You can use it without the nice interface, from the command line. It does more than just run a VM. It can emulate machines (hence the name) , eg in my x86-64 machine, I can run an iso made for an arm architecture, if I run it inside qemu.
Regards
Neville

1 Like

Interesting! Since I’m a GUI kind of guy, rather than a command line guy, Boxes will be perfect.

Boxes is indeed quite good. Simpler than Vbox.
I lost my Boxes when I had to abandon Debian/Gnome because of graphics card issues. So I cant test this, but I think Boxes might do an emulation… you could try out an Rpi emulation, save having to buy one!