Tip on how to do an "instant site search with a keyword in firefox"

Hi all, :wave:

I just want to share a tip to make a dedicated web-search using a keyword pretty convenient when using firefox.

I found this article on https://www.howtogeek.com/722801/how-to-do-an-instant-site-search-with-a-keyword-in-firefox/ .

Example:

You´re presently on ANY itsfoss.community page and you decide you want to look for any articles containing the topic of “RAM” which appear here.

So you´d basically just have to type cs RAM in the address bar and the result of
RAM site:itsfoss.community will be presented.

(note: cs is just the mnemonic shortcut keyword; you can choose any other of your liking).

You may choose Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo as search engines.

Let´s take DuckDuckGo as an example.

I´m taking the liberty of quoting from the above-mentioned source: :wink:

• First, open a Firefox window and bookmark any site by pressing Ctrl+D (on Windows and Linux) or Command+D (on Mac). Name the bookmark something distinctive, like “Site Search Shortcut,” so that you can easily find it in your bookmarks library. Then click “Done.”

• Next, open the Bookmarks sidebar by pressing Ctrl+B . Locate the bookmark that you just created and then right-click it in the sidebar list and select “Properties.”

• A Properties window for the bookmark will appear. In the “Location:” field, paste this:

javascript:location='https://www.duckduckgo.com/?q=%S+site%3A'%20+%20escape(location.hostname)%20+%20'%20'%20;%20void%200
  • After that, click the “Keyword” field and type “cs” (for “current site”) or another mnemonic shortcut keyword you’d like to type to trigger the site search.

• When you’re done, click “Save,” and the bookmark properties window will close.

• Next, navigate to any website that you’d like to search (Let’s say How-To Geek, for example.). When you’re there, click the address bar in any Firefox window and type “cs atari” and hit Enter.

• Instantly, you’ll see search results for “atari” among pages on the howtogeek.com website using the search engine you chose in the bookmark above

It´s not as complicted as it looks at first sight.
The pictures provided on the howtogeek site will make it pretty clear I should think. :smiley:

I hope this keyword search may prove to be extremely handy and helpful.

Many greetings.
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually, I was using this trick the other way.

Example: I’d like to search for KDE in Ubuntu

My search string: How to install KDE in Ubuntu +itsfoss

And when I came to know about this, I performed another one like this:

My search string: site:amazon.in Crucial SATA SSD 2.5 inch

2 Likes

Hi,

Yes, that rings a bell with me too.

I used to do it the same way. :smiley:

I guess the aim of the method described by howtogeek is to have a simple shortcut available - or rather a keyword - so you don´t have to do a lot of typing in the URL-line.

Many greetings.
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes