To Wayland or Not

Are there any Wayland users here? If so, what issues have you experienced with using Wayland?

I can’t use it yet - 'cause I need Symless Synergy KVM… And allegedly Wayland compatible version of Synergy (3) is still a “release candidate” - so I’m still using Synergy 1.14.6 “stable”… I’m not going to try it till Synergy 3 is beyond “release candidate”…

To Wayland or Not

TLDR; If you have nvidia, the short answer: NOT.
Otherwise it depends… :wink:

Yes :wink:

Depends on graphics hardware, wayland implementation.

On a laptop with integrated intel graphics it works.
On a desktop with nvidia graphics it’s a different story:
with Gnome (43) it mostly works, however there are some setup tricks to make it start at all.
Sometimes a window is not resizable, sometimes the window frame gets resized, but the content stays…
Browser (Chromium or Firefox) has glitches, flickering content, as the mouse moves above the browser window, transparent web content on the upper third of the browser window (I mean the browser window is rendered correctly, the content on the lower 2/3 of the window is rendered correctly, but the upper 1/3 of the window is transparent, the desktop, or open windows below the browser shines through).
Restarting the browser temporarily fixes that.
With KDE it sucks even more.
Needless to say, that using X11 everything is fine.

With AMD graphics KDE works as expected, no such problems.
I did not test Gnome with Radeon, but I think it should just work.

The benefit of wayland for me is much faster working with screen.
There’s a problem with Davinci Resolve on Linux, that when using multiple monitors, it’s screen update is maxed somewhere at 40fps or so, which is OK until I don’t need 50…60P for example. On wayland I do not experience this limit.
When streaming with OBS, using X11 the avarege time spent on a frame is about 15…26ms on laptop, depending on the scene. The same is 3…7ms on wayland.

LMDE has an updated Cinnamon version having initial wayland support.
It still in a very early stage.

There are some known limitations on wayland, like night colors of KDE, which don’t work…

So if you have a non-nvidia graphics, you may try wayland.
If you have nvidia, forget KDE, you may give it try with Gnome.
(I can’t stand Gnome, so my only option currently for using wayland is with KDE).

5 Likes

Some distros come with a Login Manager that allows choice of X11 or Wayland.
That way you could try Wayland , and have an escape if there are issues in your situation.

3 Likes

I use Ubuntu 24.04 on my laptop, but it does have integrated Intel graphics in addition to available Nvidia graphics. Some of my apps are not yet compatible so I do use an X11 session when needed. I should check how many apps that includes.

I have a tower that would be similar. I’m not sure off the top of my head if I’m using Wayland or X11 there. I think Plank does not work under Wayland yet and so I likely do not use it. At least not 100% of the time.

2 Likes

That’s a different story again, in that case you use the intel graphics in general.
You need to run a program “prime render offload” way to use the nvidia really.

My Dell G3 is similar, intel graphics in the i5 8300H, and a GTX1050 as an additional graphics. On this laptop I can use KDE+wayland without problems so far. (I run very few programs on the nvidia, and those are specifically started with prime render offload)

2 Likes

That is the case, I saw wayland in the login menu. Last time I tried, way back .Black Screen of Death

1 Like

Wayland is not necessarily the future of Linux GUI’s.
Read this from one developer who thinks it has serious design issues
https://dudemanguy.github.io/blog/posts/2022-06-10-wayland-xorg/wayland-xorg.html

and
The best link I can find on the status if Wayland in 2024

2 Likes

Well, thanks @nevj for the 2024 article. If you listen to a lot of conversation on forums, you find it pretty much split down the middle with those who favor Wayland spouting about the insecurities in X11 and those who favor X11 saying basically what the author said: after all this time, it is still not better than X11.

I was beginning to panic that they might get rid of X. But I think it’s safe to say “I don’t think so.”

Thanks,
Sheila

4 Likes

That is good news. Why fix it if it aint broken

1 Like