Touchpad & Touchscreen problem (Solved)

For what it’s worth, I bought my wife a new HP Envy x360 laptop that came with WIN 11. I immediately dumped Windoze and installed Linux Mint 20.2. The touchpad and touchscreen wouldn’t work. I fixed by installing Kernel 5.13.0-22 (it had Kernel 5.4.0-91). Both touchpad and touchscreen now work.
Jim

3 Likes

Brave and wise move

I wonder if you do that on a new machine what happens if it breaks and you need to return to supplier under the 1 year (2 years in france) cover ?

I have always put up with Windows as supplied for new machines as a result…

1 Like

You can make a recovery DVD for windows before you ditch it.
Then you can put windows back if all else fails.

Alternatively you can use clonezilla from a DVD to image the whole disk including windows.
Then you can recover the whole disk, windows plus whatever other partitions are on it.

Neville

2 Likes

Thanks but, if it won’t work on Linux, I don’t want it. SAY NO TO WINDOZE!
I’m more than happy with how it’s all working so far and whatever problems may arise (and have arisen on my other 3 Linux laptops), I’ve always had the VERY helpful folks on ITSFOSS come to the rescue.
No worries! I’ll sleep well with my decision. :grin:
Jim

Although I would always buy a second hand laptop ,the one where you easily replace the hard drive (not the very thin unit where access to the “guts” require (partial)dis-assembly ) ,for any new laptop with access to the hard drive , I would replace the Windoze HDD or SSD with another SSD and install a Linux distro . In the event of hardware failure within the warranty period ,I would re-install the original Windoze storage device before contacting the Laptop’s supplier.
3 years ago I bought a second hand Dell E6330 laptop with i5 CPU (probably new in 2014) ,replaced the Windoze 10 HDD by a SSD ,now happily running Linux Mint 20.2

Frank in County Wicklow Ireland

Probably a much smarter and more frugal move but, as a present for my wife, she might not have appreciated frugal :wink:
I have to admit that I almost bricked the thing by modifying a startup file but, very fortunately, was able to fix the file with the origninal ISO boot USB. I think that I keyed a comma instead of a period… OOOPS!
Anyway, so far, it’s working out perfectly and, VERY FORTUNATELY, wifey is happy!!! :slight_smile: