Transformation to Linux Complete: Converted Macbook Pro to Ubuntu

OK: I am halting a session where I spent two hours working, mostly online. I had one 15 minute time out during that time when I stepped away to fix a sandwich. My computer has used 32 percent of its battery during that time. Roughly speaking, using one third of its battery life in two hours leads me to estimate I will get six hours of light use on a full charge. I’ll keep monitoring. But again, that’s a 15-inch MB Pro, 2014 model with a battery that does not quite get a full charge running Ubuntu Budgie, Firefox and LibreOffice Writer.

Thanks, Fishyaker for what was a very full answer, I appreciate it. From what you say it would not be worth exchanging my ZBook for a Mac. I had half remembered an idea that Macs usually ran for nearer 10 - 12 hours. Thanks for squashing that idea for me. You are a superstar!

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion. I just find it easier to plug the machine into the wall.

1 Like

I don’t get “seamless” integration with MS Office apps, but I don’t pay for seamless integration. And there’s almost always a workaround. There are other examples, but that’s one most home and business users will run into at some point.

Seamless integration with MS Office apps ?
Would Libre Office not be a more suitable alternative when using Linux ?

Frank in County wicklow Ireland

Since the only files I share are pdf–everyone can read them. Libre Office conveniently puts a ‘export as pdf’ choice in every title bar. Can’t see any reason to ever use a Windows office product.

2 Likes

Frank:

I often work with MS Word and Excel files submitted to me by others (for editing and review purposes). From both lenses, LibreOffice translations of those documents can be problematic at times, but most notably so with Excel.

That is what I was referring to. I do use LibreOffice extensively, but it doesn’t capture all the formatting of its MS Word and Excel counterparts (think about Excel files with lots of macros or using complex function commands).

LibreOffice works fine. But it is not a seamless substitute for MS Office if you are working with documents provided by others. Hence my comment.

I often work with, review and edit files sent to me by others in those formats. Outside of these circumstances, I agree.

1 Like

I agree. Complicated Excel users are difficult to collaborate with from Linux.
I have had some success with gnumeric for Excel files, but not for everything. Plain data files are easy.

2 Likes

100% I’ve had awful experience with Excel documents in LibreOffice Calc, and DIABOLICAL experiences with MS Word documents in LibreOffice Write, mostly where come corporate style guide has been enforced from a template - and LibreOffice does it’s damnest to completely, and utterly, destroy ALL the formatting…

Me personally? I’d 10,000 rather ALL documents were in markup, or markdown, or reasonably simple html (e.g. like EPUB files). Note, most MS Office documents are just zip files of XML data…

2 Likes

i too was having issues with excel ( and trying to use libreoffice and even gnumeric in place, when sending emails with an libreoffice/gnumeric file ). many recipients couldnt get them to open properly ( but they could all open the email if it was sent using an actual excel 2003 file). mysterious but true. i solved it by using crossover and a 2003 excel file. i even tried ( thx to FOSS contributers ) to use libreoffice and send it in excel format ( even stranger).

Using LibreOffice OpenOfficeText (.odt) , when sending a file to M$office users I save the file as .doc or .docx …no problem . Intent to check whether the latest M&office Word version accepts .odt files.

Frank (wicklowham)